What is the appeal of surrogacy?

Just something I am curious about. It's something I could never do and to me it just seems so emotionally and physically difficult. So, if you have done it and love it or know someone who has- how can surrogacy be positive for the surrogate mother?

Bellarose0212

Asked by Bellarose0212 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I haven't done this, but i have done a lot of school research on this. Mainly American sugrrogacy vs other countries. When the baby isn't yours inside, you feel a slight disconnection with it while it is growing inside of you. Once you become a mother, and you experience the love you have with a child, alot of surrogate mothers feel there is no bigger gift to someone then a child. I don't think it is ever easy to give a child to there parents after months of carrying it. But many American surrogate mothers stay in contact with the family, and become very close. Another factor is money, it costs around $75,000 to have a surrogate mother. In India it cost about $10,000. The women there, do it to get out of poverty and to have a better life for their families. Either way, yes you are correct it is both emotionally and physically difficult, but a wonderful gift someone can give to someone who can not carry a child themselves
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I know someone that has done it twice...but she has no feelings what so ever. The only reason she did it was for the money. She has never worked a day in her life and thought that would be an easy way for money. I agree with you and say that I dont think I could do it either. I mean if someone in my family asked me to bc they werent able to have any I might think about it but I know that it would be hard. So I dont think that its something that I could do.
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 9:18 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The money and the joy of helping two people who are at their last hope become parents. Honestly, if they want to be parents that badly, then you KNOW you will be doing a great service and that they will be wonderful parents.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I've never done it, but I did consider offering to do it for my sister and her hubby. They decided to adopt rather than do surrogacy and now I can't do it, but in this case, it would have been a pure gift. Something I could do, something that was so easy for me (getting pregnant and having healthy babies), but was impossible for them. I couldn't have done it with my own eggs, but using my sister's or a donor's eggs, it wouldn't have been my baby, it would have been theirs. Yes, it would still be hard to go through the pregnancy and go home without a baby, but how could I not feel positively about making two very deserving people, people I love, parents?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I know it would be really hard, but there are so many wonderful people that for different reasons can not have a baby without help. I would be willing to help someone feel the same love I feel with my son.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 3:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2009