If the kids destroy the house when the parents are gone, do you think the babysitter should be responsible for making sure they pick it up?

Every time I use this babysitter, by the time she leaves my house is destroyed! Last night when I got home the house wasn't so bad, but, when I went in the kids' rooms to kiss them goodnight there were toys everywhere. It's like they dumped every toy, big or small, all over the floor and left it. Also, she didn't put a pull up on my daughter. There was pee everywhere!

So my question is, do you expect your babysitter to keep your house clean, OR to focus on the kids only and not worry about the rest? And when I mean keep the house clean, I do not mean do all the work while the kids sit and watch. I mean, make sure the kids pick up after themselves and the house is the way it was originally. Or should she take care of the kids and not worry about the kids or her picking up the messes?

Oh, and btw, I pay her $20 for about 2hrs for which she has come to expect every week (we use her on a weekly basis).

joannakitler

Asked by joannakitler at 9:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe you just need to tell the babysitter that she needs to set aside "x" amount of time before the kids go to bed to help them pick up and put away toys. She probably doesn't realize that she should be helping them do this. Leave her a list of what you expect when she babysits, or what needs to be done before bedtime. I do think she should make an effort to keep your house in its original condition. I don't think you should dock her pay if she doesn't, unless it becomes obvious that she is just ignoring your wishes. Be sure she knows ahead of time what you expect, it could just be a failure to communicate.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:06 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would tell her(the babysitter). That you expect the whole house to be the way you left it (clean). When you return. If it is not she will not get the whole amount of pay.

Answer by louise2 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think the babysitter should make sure that you come to a house that is as close to as the same as possible it when you left. If she can't get the kids to help pick up she should do it. That's what I always did when I babysat. I always ended up picking up stuff most of the time.
    kelly02

Answer by kelly02 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• She should try to keep up with the house, I don't know if I would be over worried with thier rooms..let's face it kids make messes in there, but the rest of the house should be picked up, it should not be a free for all.

She's being paid to take care of the kids and that in my book includes the mess the kids will make.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Depends on how old your kids are.. If they are old enough to know that they need to pick up after themselves then no it isn't her job to stay on top of them or to go behind them and pick it up. But I would ask her if she could atleast try to get them to clean up after they are done playing.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would tell her to make sure the kids pick up their toys when they're done playing with them, or before bedtime - she should help them pick up. I wouldn't use a sitter who left me with a wrecked house.

Answer by missanc at 10:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would expect the house to be as I left it. I would also have a chat with my kids letting them know if they tear the house up they will be in trouble. They know to put stuff up without asking and if they give the sitter a hard time they will be in big trouble. Sounds like your kids are a bit out of control and need to learn to pick up after themselves and you need to tell your sitter your expectations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Her responsibility is the children. If you told her to put a pull up on the little one then she should have done this. Any cleaning up is not her responsibility, but in order to keep the job and with the thought that she might want a reference from you for jobs with others, then she would do well to do some straightening up, too. You are not hiring her as a maid, unless you specifically tell her that she is being hired as a maid/babysitter. A babysitter is there to watch the children.

Answer by Bmat at 10:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• "I would expect the house to be as I left it. I would also have a chat with my kids letting them know if they tear the house up they will be in trouble. They know to put stuff up without asking and if they give the sitter a hard time they will be in big trouble. Sounds like your kids are a bit out of control and need to learn to pick up after themselves and you need to tell your sitter your expectations."

Yeah, I agree, you need to sit down with your kids and the sitter and explain your expectations to both of them. My kids know they need to clean up after themselves even if they need reminders, and the sitter would need to know what you expect of her. Maybe her mom cleaned up all her messes and she just thinks that the way every mom is. Let her know that she need to make sure the kids pick up after themselves. Then if she still doesn't you can tell her it will affect her wage.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Part of taking care of the kids is making sure they do not get into a free for all mode, tearing up the house. If they are destroying the house (not leaving toys strung out all over, but REALLY destroying it) then she is not watching them properly. Not putting a pull up on the child is also an indication that she either doesn't know how to watch your children properly or is not attuned to their age-appropriate needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 16, 2009