I have 2 childeren ages 17 and 8. Now my 17yr old will be 18 in February and he is very disrespectful toward me and I am ready to throw him out now! Anyone else have or had this problem?

He feels as though he doesn't have to do anything around the house and when I get on him about something to him its not a big deal!! Ladies I am just ready to throw the towel in and just say GET OUT!!!

Princess2000

Asked by Princess2000 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have three kids, two in their twenties and one a teen. Two are girls and 1 a boy. This summer my teen was a real problem and I just finally had it. I took away the computer, has had it since July. And I took away the Ipod at the same time. And they're not being given back. I threatened many many times to do that and didn't. TV is only allowed after hw and its' checked, then allowed only where I am.

With my oldest I did a lot of yelling and threats and followed through but not often enough and not with daily chores. He is now very responsible and good but teens tough.

I think your son should be given choices - he can do this or leave. He can do this or do this or leave. Remove his toys and his joy about them will decrease and reality will set in about responsibility. Don't clean his stuff, do cook dinner and if he doesn't want it don't get upset just fridge it for a day then eat it yourself. Your home yr rules.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Think log and hard about that. He's still in high school and moving out will make it hard for him to finish high school. We kicked our 21yo out when he was 2 mos. from 18 because of his attitude, he was still in high school. He didn't finish school and quite honestly kicking him out was the dumbest tparenting move we ever made. If I had it all to over I would have cracked down a little harder and stood a little firmer instead of giving up so easily. Ground your son, make life miserable. I have a son who will be 18 in Dec. and he knows that until he graduates, we are the ones in charge. ground your son, take all of his fun things away, don't let him go out....stick to your guns.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It's a very good quality to find in a young man, (the desirer to be in charge, we have to many that don't.) He needs you to be understanding about his God given desires, but at the same time he needs to respect your God given athority; You my want to try and sit down and talk with him about it, and give him more fredom to drect the things that need to be done. Congratulations he's becoming a man.
    Hislamb

Answer by Hislamb at 12:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Having an identical age range between my two oldest children I can say that I understand but unfortunately it sounds as though you've let it go too long. Disrespect is a learned behavior. Whether he's picked it up over the years because you have overindulged him due to the younger sibling or he feels as though this how he gets your attention. Kicking him out will create a bitter, resentful young man. He needs to contribute to the household in some manner or another. I'm guessing he either spends time out of the house with friends or cooped up in his room, away from the general household goings on. My recommendation, after removing all of his electronics (including phone, internet, computer, etc.), REMOVE HIS BEDROOM DOOR. Boys that age covet their privacy and privacy is a privilege, not a right. When he has earned that privilege by contributing, he'll see the err in his ways and step up. It worked here. Good luck!
    KidzolaRCM

Answer by KidzolaRCM at 7:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• He's growing up, mine is going through the same. I've decided to give him some space, im giving him a week, he has to do his own stuff though, cook his own meals if he doesn't want mine, clean his own room, pick up for himself. No, muuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm, come heeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee!! Kind of stuff. No whiney teenager stuff if hes becoming a man. He can fend for himself if he can talk to his mum like shes muck on the bottom of his shoes.
    Ellie_Louise

Answer by Ellie_Louise at 1:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2009