Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone else have a tv or other large item fall on your child?

So yesterday i am getting ready to do the dishes and i checked on my 21month old son who was playing in his room. he was fine. 5 minutes later i here this loud crash followed by my son screaming. i ran in there and OMG i went into panic mode. This is what i assumed happened, he was climbing in his dresser drawers and jumping in them and tiped the dresser and the tv (which is on dresser) fell over on him. i rushed him to ER, he is fine nothing broken, just a bruise on his forhead and a big cut behind his ear on his head, with a bump and bruise.
i just want to know if anyone else has ever had something like this happen. his dad was so mad at me saying i should watch him better and be right on top of him 24/7. which for the most part i am. but i still have house work to do. his dad made me feel even worse than i already did. just looking for someone to relate to.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • Yes it has happened to my daughter when she was 2 and at the babysitters, a very large TV fell and it knocked her over into a plastic chair and cut her really deeply right above the eye right on the eyebrow area, I met them at the ER and there was so much blood, I was so so scared!! She got 18 stiches that day and had a lot of bruising, she still has large purple type scar on her eyebrow.

    Answer by WishyClarkson at 9:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Nope. I always worried about it, though. I always set the tall dresser so that it couldn't completely fall (it would hit the other dresser or something first (wouldn't stop the kids from getting squished, though) but we never had any issues.
    The closest was my son climbing on his empty tall dresser and causing it to fall. He was on top so he just slid off and landed fine. The dresser hit the radiator and all the drawers slid open and the box on top went flying. Made a big mess but he wasn't hurt (learned a lesson, though...he was 4 at the time).
    Then over the summer the kids were screwing around in their closet and knocked over the dresser in there and all the drawers slid open, dumping stuff every where. The drawers alone are heavy (solid wood) and they got banged up but not injured. And then they had to clean up the mess. They are 6 and 7.

    Answer by justanotherjen at 9:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Wow, I am sorry for both of you and glad it worked out OK in the end.

    My two year old pulled a shelving unit over on him. What kept him from being injured was that the lower part of the unit had cabinet doors, the doors swung open, and the unit landed on the open doors, missing my son who was between the doors. After that we hooked the unit to the wall. The damage that was done was that some dishes that had belonged to my grandmother were destroyed, sad, but at least my son wasn't hurt.

    Answer by Bmat at 9:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • This summer we were at a BBQ at a friends house. All the other parents were drinking EXCEPT my husband and I. (That is our rule- we never drink when we are out with our son). So we were watching/playing with everyone elses kids. We were playing with a huge ball, and my son (who is 2 and 1/2) kicked it over to the side of the house. He said "I go get it mama" And I didn't think it was a big deal because I could clearly see where he was going and so could my husband. (it was maybe 40 feet away from where my husband was standing) My son tried kicking the ball to me, but it went into the bushes up onto a bird bath. My son tried to climb on top of the bird bath to get the ball and it fell. My husband and I started running the second we saw it happen but we were too late. Half of the bird bath fell on top of him and he got some nasty scrapes and bruises.  He is lucky to be alive.


    Answer by SecretSuzy at 10:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • ** Anyways, my husband and I both felt like shit, but it isn't like we weren't watching him. If it would have happened to someone elses kid, then they definitely should have felt like shit because they were drinking (quite heavily I might add, and I was wondering how they were going to drive their kids home drunk??) So don't feel bad, things happen to very cautious mothers. It can happen in an instant and there is nothing you can do about it.


    Answer by SecretSuzy at 10:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.