At what age would you let your DD wear makeup?

At what age would you consider letting your daughter wear make-up to school? I have an 11 year old DD who is in the 6th grade this year she asked me if she could start wearing make-up to school. I am a little hesitant about it, she only wants to wear a little eyeshadow, mascara and lipgloss, but dad is like if it makes her feel more confortable with herself ...why not. I remember being her age and wanting to wear make-up so badly, but my mom was like NO, so I went behind her back and wore it anyway. I don't want to be like that, so I need to find some kind of middle ground.

shoegal

Asked by shoegal at 9:50 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would say if 6th grade is still in elementary school where you live, you should tell her she has to wait at least one more year. If 6th is in middle school / junior high, a lot of her friends will be wearing make up this year, and you'll have to consider whether not being allowed is going to make her feel really left out.

My daughter's friends mostly started wearing make up at your daughter's age, but luckily my daughter never pushed the issue. My daughter turned 13 over the summer and just started 8th grade. A few weeks before school started this year, I bought her some make up and showed her how to use it. She has dark circles under her eyes, so I am allowing her to wear concealer and mineral foundation, which looks very natural. We have a few rules - 1. must look age appropriate, 2. must keep make up neatly put away, and 3. using make up must not make her late for school. So far, so good. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I say when she gets her period. I know girls are getting their period alot sooner but start with something light. My daughter is going to be 9 in Oct and she doesnt even talk about make up. So i guess Im lucking out. She hasnt went through puberty yet but when she does I will show her how to wear makeup that its looks natural
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would not let my DD's wear make up tell 16. It is not a necessary thing for a girl to do. It just makes them look older then they are. And I wanted my girls to understand that they are pritty without makeup.

Answer by louise2 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• 9th grade; she wears a teeny bit of eyeliner.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• in 6th grade i think noe more than lip gloss, and maybe tell her before she starts 7th grade you will take her to get some modist make up. i think before 7th grade is too early for more than lip gloss.
    i wasnt allowed to wear it at all until i was 13, and like you i snuck behind my moms back.
    my 13ths bday she took me to the make up counter at pennys and had my make up done and bought me make up.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My daughter is only 8 so we haven't hit this struggle yet, but I plan to let her start wearing one item in 6th grade (lip gloss) and add an item every year (7th-blush, 8th-mascara, etc) I also plan on taking her to a makeup counter so they can show her how to put on makeup to look "natural" instead of caking it on the way so many teens do.

Answer by missanc at 10:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think it does depend on what makeup she wants to wear. The fact is, she can always sneak full-face makeup at school; I think you need to find a balance that you can live with. If you can live with her suggestion, then I won't judge you.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I started wearing lip gloss and light almost non existent pastel eye shadows around 11 or 12. I started school early, so 11/12 for me was 7th grade. Then I got to add something every summer before the next school year until I was 15. Then my parents let me wear makeup however I wanted. Strike a compromise, and teach her how to wear it. I work with so many teens that wear their makeup so dark and thick you can't even recognize them without it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my daughter is 11 and I don't have a problem with her wearing a bit of lip gloss but full on make-up....I'm thinking more like 15/16.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009