When was the Bible seperated into verses?

This is probably a stupid question, but did the authors of different books in the Bibles write in verses, or was everything once all combined? And if so, who seperated it? I think it would be much easier to read if it was seperated by chapter rather than books, chapters, and verses. Thanks for your answers!

jm14879

Asked by jm14879 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I might be easier to read as in the flow, but you wouldn't be able to reference it as easily as you can now. Most of the time when I see people ask a question about a verse or something they read in the Bible they only quote one line or verse and it would be hard to go back and look it up if you wanted to see it in context if it weren't all divided like it is.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:22 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapters_and_verses_of_the_Bible
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The books in the bible were not originally written in verses or chapters but whole books. So with that in mind I make every attempt to read it that way. For example 1 Corinthians 12 and 13 were separated but if you take that out you will see how it connects better . Chpt 12 ends with I will show you a most excellent way then it goes into the love chapter... take out the break and read it in a continuous flow..... it will change how you read those two chapters.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2009