The unanswered question...

My DH said to me that Athiests are just ignorant. That they must not be very smart if they can't figure out that something can't come from nothing...

Now, I have heard this argument over and over again... Something can't come from nothing - yadda yadda...

But if you believe in God, and that is your answer as to where everything came from, where did God come from?

Either way, at some point, something had to come from nothing! So, what does it matter how or why? We are here, and since none of us were there to remember the beginning, who is to say what honestly happened?

Your thoughts...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• He is always was and always will be---he is not of this dimension--He did not "come" He is

He is Alpha to Omega,

you cannot put the time/space limits on HIM as we put on mortals--He is not of this earthly time constraint---He is the Word~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I feel you. I've tought of the same things. My conclusion is that its all in the mind. The mind is the MOST powerful thing in this universe. Everything starts with a thought. Even God. I still love, respect and honor the fact that I have a creator. In my mind that is the just thing to do. But I would have to say that I feel creation goes on further back than we can imagine. And that there are more than one God(dess).
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Just because we don't have a scientific answer now does not mean that we never will. There are many mysteries in the universe and humans have only been around a relatively short amount of time and science less than that. To think that we should have all of the answers to the universe's questions already is arrogant. To think that we NEVER will have the answers is ridiculous. Humans are merely newborns in this universe. Give us time to advance. We still haven't cured the common cold yet.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:23 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'd also like to add that just because we don't have an answer, does not automatically prove the divine. Years ago people thought that eclipses were proof of god.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Im with you.
    I dont know where the Divine came from and I dont care. I dont care how the earth was formed...I can wait for those answers and if I never get them I can live with that too.

I have my ideas but I realize they arent proof but Im just grateful to be here and doing my thing.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• deadheadjen - I guess that was my entire point... We don't have any direct answers. And at some point something had to come from nothing... Be it God/dess or Earth... Something had a beggining from nothing... We just don't have those answers...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:34 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• God didn't come from anywhere. He has always been and always will be (Deuteronomy 32:40; Romans 16:26). We find this puzzling but it's the limits of our own experiences that create that confusion really. Space goes on forever, right? If not, where does it end? At a brick wall? If so, what's beyond the wall. It's really not such a stretch of the mind to accept God as having and having had infinite life, when we stop and think about it.
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 10:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If Christians use this as a reason Atheists are wrong in their non-belief of Creation, then how can they say the 'God was always there' excuse makes any sense? If everything comes from something- then God HAD to have come from something or else your whole theory falls apart. You can't use it to debunk one thing and turn around and use it to validate something else.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

He is Alpha to Omega,

This doesn't answer the question.  He had come from somewhere!  Whether you believe in creation or cosmic evolution, ultimately something had to come from nothing.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:05 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The Cosmological Argument of St. Thomas Aquinas. Horribly flawed, but spells out that there must be a reason for things, they don't just happen, and everything must either come from something else or be self-generated. My issue with it is that it then jumps from "some things can be self-generated" to "there can only be one self-generated thing in the entire universe." Terrible argument with nothing to support it, but up until that point, the logic is sound.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2009