This seems weird to me, but I don't know why

I was taking my nephew to school today as a favor to my brother. The shirt I was wearing showed the tattoo I have. He started asking me questions and then asked if getting a tattoo hurt. I told him it varied from person to person and depended a lot on the location on your body, but that for most people, they were some sort of painful. He told me when his mom got her tattoo on her leg, she didn't even make a noise. I laughed and said "How do you know?" He said "Because I was there when she went to Paul's house to get it done." My nephew is 7, and he spends two days a week with his mom. I don't know why, but this seems off to me. Is it just me? I mean, I don't really trust getting a tattoo at someone's house, just because all teh people I know that do it from home are creepy. But I don't know that I would do it with my 7 year old there. There is nothing "wrong" with it, I know. But for some reason, it sits funny with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• It would sit funny with me, too, and I'm also not sure why. If she only has him 2 days a week, then should could have gotten it done another time. And the chance that he might see her in pain would seem to mean that she shouldn't have exposed him to this.

Answer by Bmat at 10:18 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OP here

Ok, maybe that is why. I don't think I would want my kids to see in a position of vulnerability at that age. I suppose most kids still see their parents as super heros at that age and I wouldn't want to shatter that image so soon. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• im with you on that one... I have tattoos and my sister is a tat artist. For the mother only having him two days a week i would think she would do something better with the time she has with him and should have gotten her tat another day on her time with out her son. I am sure they were in a clean environment well im hoping they were but the least to say that a 7 yr old boy should really not be witnessing something like that from his mom. I feel very judgmentle in not knowing the whole story and the situations but if it were in my case this is how i would feel..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well...getting it done at someones house is crazy if they havent got a liscence. But I dont think it was srong for her to take her son. For one, she could have left him somewhere else, but she didnt. Also I think that it could actually be a good thing that her son saw her getting it for himself. He is processing the memory and learning rather or not he would want to get one as he gets older. Maybe mom did him a favor?
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• At least he was with her! Maybe it was a small one that didn't take much time. I've gone to my cousins and all his kids were there watching while I got a tattoo. I know they weren't my kids but I'm just saying, I don't think there is anything wrong with kids seeing someone get a tattoo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009