PSA: Did You Know that Cytotec/Misoprostol is Dangerous and NOT Approved for labor induction?

If you were given a "little pill" you were given Misoprostol/Cytotec which is quite dangerous and not approved for what they are using it for. It is an ulcer medication. It can not even be dosaged properly...they often just cut them in an approximation of half. Any pharmacist will tell you that is not a good idea.

It can cause the uterus to over contract and that can affect the ability of the uterus to stop bleeding. Once the contractions have started they can not be stopped and if the start of contractions is delayed and pitocin is started it further compromises the uterus.

Complain if you were given that drug and you were't told about the serious side effects and that they are using it off label. Did you get both an oral and written warnings about its serious side effects? Or were you told it was just a "little pill to help you?"

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2002/19268slr037.pdf

amileegirl

Asked by amileegirl at 10:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• never heard of it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:22 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I knew that in fact. My father was prescribed Cytotec after his surgery for a bleeding stomach ulcer.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Never heard of it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yeah I've never heard of anyone taking that to induce labor. I don't know why anyone would since obviously it hasn't been researched enough to be deemed safe. Pitocin has been in practice longer and at least they know all the side effects of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yea i was given a lil white pill a few hrs before the pit started.. cant remember what it was called :-( birth#1 just makes me wanna cry!!! i bleepin cant stand hospitals!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I actually asked for the cytotec. My cervix wasn't ripe and I knew a straight pit induction would be hell, so I asked them to give my cervidil. They didn't have it, so I asked for cytotec. Since I had no previous cesarean section I was mostly just concerned about having more pain (a side effect of both pit and cytotec).

That was my personal choice, though, going in to it fully informed. No one told me the side effects, but I knew them. No one should be given this drug without fully informed concent. Ladies, arm yourselves with knowledge. Protect yourself and your baby.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• loads of doctors and hospitals do it so please make sure you know what drugs you are being given to induce your labor (or if possible, just wait until baby comes naturally!). thanks for the PSA. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• How can a hospital that induces women left and right not have cervadil !? Or that other prostaglandin gel?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yes, I know this because not only did I already know it but it has been posted on here many times before

As for complaining... why would we complain if everything turned out fine? I believe it is my job to inform MYSELF of anything that I take in to my body. So, had I been told i was going to be given a pill, I would have done the research myself
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• thanks for the PSA. women def need to make sure what the dr's are giving to be induced. but, they also need to make sure the induction is for a true medical reason and not just for convenience either.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:36 AM on Sep. 16, 2009