I think my Fiancee' wants me to help his dog out of her misery....

My Fiancee' has had his dog 18 years. She is a litle weiner dog. He can't face that she is dying. He loves her so much that I don't think he sees how much she is suffering .
She won't eat anymore, he she just needs vitamins and dewormer. She won't respond to anyone and he has to pick her up to get her to acknolage him,He says she is just a little deaf. She is skin and bones. He spoonfeeds her wet food with vitamins and cries.
She was his moms, and she adored her. His mom and he were really close,and when she passed she left him the dog.
He woke up this morning and told me that he had a dream that the dog was in heaven. He keeps calling me and asking me to see if she is okay, and telling me if she doesn't last the day he would understand.
I checked all the local vets and we don't have the $140 to have her euthanized.
Does he want me to put his dog out of her misery? What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pets

• $140 seem really high. My kitty was 75 to put to sleep. If the dog is really in that bad of shape, I think she needs to go. Its a tough situation because it could either bring you closer or tear you apart. You need to tell him its ok to let her go and that you will be there for him. Good luck
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You can usually take them to the humane society and they will do it for a very small fee or free. I wouldn't recommend going without him though. Not that he would hold onto it, but I have known men to blame their wives for having the family dog put down, even to save it dignity and pain. Plus, you don't want him to not have the chance to say goodbye to her. It is very sad, but it will make her feel better and more calm if he were with her when she goes.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i'd go to the local humane society like the above post suggests, but go with him, so he can pet her and tell her he loves her before or during, whichever he would prefer. but you need to talk to him first, it is his childhood dog he needs to be able to say goodbye. call his vet, see if they will do it and let you make payments, if they see the shape the dog is in they may be more willing to do so than to make the dog suffer until you can afford it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• 140 is actually pretty cheap compared to what ive seen, most vets will work out a payment plan with you if you cannot afford it in full at the moment. This dog does need to be put to rest, but I dont think you should be the one to do it. Convince him to do it, and stand by his side but do not take matters into your own hands. He could be very upset and it could cause problems in your relationship. Ive seen it happen too many times.
    Good luck.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 9:33 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree with trying the humane society. You don't want the dog to suffer. If you can't find an affordable option, see if there is a dachshund rescue nearby. They may be able to help.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• my vet always told me that my golden retiever would let me know.she was sick.and she did.we knew it was time.it was terrible.look up the poem "rainbow bridge"itsabout dogs ..its a very hard thing to let a dog go.i would leave it up to your boyfriend....i wouldnt do it he may resent you....
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2009