Do you do tummy time with your newborn?

My 2 month old hates tummy time (so did my 3 year old). I try to do at least 10 minutes a day but sometimes I find myself avoiding it because I know he doesn't like it. Do you think "tummy time" is really necessary?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I do think it's necessary. My 10 month old didn't like it either until he could roll over. I used to lay down with him on my tummy and play with toys so he could see them which helped a little.

Answer by missanc at 10:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My children were both belly sleepers, so they had 8-10 hours of tummy time a night lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• right with you Zakysmommy
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• oh, you bad mommy, letting your baby sleep on his tummy. Kidding, really. My son was a belly sleeper too and if I did tummy time, it was usually a recipe for a nap. He would wiggle around then crash-instant nap! I still don't know how he got on his tummy at night though. Never actually saw him do it, just know I would go in to get him for feedings and he would be laying there, butt in the air.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my son is 2 months also n i try to give him tummy time, but he also does not like it. he may be fine for a minute but because he cant see me he starts to cry. i was looking up play mats for tummy time and most of them are for 3 months and older. so i would worry so much about making sure he gets tummy time, jus when u get a chance or want to. but u still shud try. its important in his rolling over stage.
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I started my daughter on tummy time the day i brought her home from the hospital. She's 6 months and has been crawling for over a month. She can already sit up on her own. The doc says she's so ahead of the curve because of early tummy time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009