If Obama is winning over other countries why is Japan pulling out of Afghanistan?

Japan ready to withdraw support for Afghanistan war
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6836939.ece

Japan’s new Defence Minister is a strong opponent of the country’s military support for the US, making it more likely than ever that the Government of Yukio Hatoyama will withdraw its naval ships from the war in Afghanistan early next year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well they've just had a big change in government, it has nothing to do with our politics, but theirs. The new party does not support having their troops there, plain and simple.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Anime- your answer made sooo much sense but I'm sure that's not what the OP wants to hear. She's hoping that some will throw out their theories in support of her views and then she hopes that others will support different views so she can cut them down. Once she gets tired of this question she'll move on to the next. Oh not to forget; but since I'm posting ANON she'll call me a stalker (I saw her say the samething on another question she posted). I think when someone gives an answer that people don't like you get called one of two things, either a stalker or a troll.
    And for the sake of those wondering which one I am (which I'm neither but it doesn't matter) for conversation sake I'll just say I'm both. That should make everyone happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Why is it that we call people who happen to remember a statement you made previously on CM stalkers? Aren't we on here to hear each other's views? Why is it so strange that someone remembers a comment you made last week or a month before? Could it be that the comment you made actually was worth remembering; regardless if it was something they agreed with or not. Seems as though when people start making to much sense people resort to calling each other names. Makes any valid point one might have lost because the focus is now in defending one's statements/self and not on the actual question or argument at hand. So much can be gained on this website but so much is also lost because people can't agree to disagree without cutting other down in the process.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Save it for your journal dramaqueen. You forgot that one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Ops, never heard that one but I can see where that too would be said. TY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OP is right. The new minister won with a landslide. Its the first time in 50 years that Japan has had a new political party. The new minister, Yukio Hatoyama, calls himself a reformer. So this could be interesting. Although, from what I hear, he's fairly new to the politcal world, along with his cabinet. But the ministry leader he's selected was Japans former secretary general and is fairly educated on politics.
    In a way he is a lot like Obama. They are in the worst recession in years as well. Hatoyama promises to bring change, reform, and recovery. which they need. Japan is the worlds second largest economy.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• ETA: As for pulling out. It could also be less complicated then him not liking the war, although that is probably a big part of it. However, he could see a pull out as a financially positive move for Japan. He has a lot to consider for his country as he tries to fix things.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Could be because the new officials in Japan are doing what they believe their constituents want. It could be because they have other things to spend their money on after how many years now? It could be because they as a country no longer see Afghanistan as a necessary to their national security.

It could be many, many things that have nothing to do with their views on the US or even Obama.
    reelo

Answer by reelo at 11:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh and one more thing I forgot. There may come a demand for the US to pull out many of it's troops from Okinawa. I am looking forward to seeing how Obama and the new minister will cooperate.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Because they have more sense than us....
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 11:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009