What would you get a boy in 5th or 6th grade for his birthday?

aj_baby_06

Asked by aj_baby_06 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• a tent... a flashlight.. a fishing pole.. remote control car... model airplanes or cars... does this help?
    ARuss

Answer by ARuss at 10:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• What are his interests? When my son turned 11 this summer we got him a book that he'd been wanting, we took him to a football game and gave him money to spend at the store at the stadium. He was also very happy with the fishing rod and tackle box my sis and bil bought him. My other sis always takes my boys out to dinner and a movie as their gift - their choice of restaurant and movie.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• book
    board game
    video game
    sports equipment
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• A gift card. He is old enough to understand the value of money at least somewhat, and would probably appreciate the generosity and the fact that he got to pick his own gift. That, or look online at like Walmart or Target, I think both of those (i know Walmart does) categorize their toys by age. So you can get an idea of what things are on the market targeted for a kid that age.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I dont know what he likes. I am asking for my mother in law, she has no idea what to get him.
    aj_baby_06

Answer by aj_baby_06 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It depends on how much you want to spend.
    Video games are almost always great-if you know the system he has and games he wants
    sports stuff-if you know the sports he's into
    computer stuff-again you need to know.....
    I think if you don't know, my favorite gift is to get a giant hershey bar (they all love candy) and slip some cash under the wrapper, and wrap that up. You don't have to know anything.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:18 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree with cash or a gift card, especially if you don't know the child well enough to know his interests. At this age they are old enough to appreciate the gift, and to quite often want to shop for themselves or be saving for something.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Gift Card. That he can pick put his gift. Especially if you dont know the child well.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It depends largely on his interests. My son will turn 12 his next birthday and he is asking for art supplies, surfing lessons, a trip to an amusement park, and Bionicles.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• favorite DVDs or CDs. Gift cards to shop for his own clothes, Gift cards to fast food for when he goes out with friends, video games
    frenzied

Answer by frenzied at 2:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009