whats the stuff you drink for??

I'm sitting in the dr office waiting for them to call me back to take blood to check for gestational diabetes.
I was wondering, what is the stuff that you drink an hour before they take blood for?
What does it do??

brookethomas

Asked by brookethomas at 10:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its basically a sugar drink my dr said.
    I think it tastes like crap . gag LOL
    I think it is supposed to raise your blood sugar adn they see how it raised or how much .
    IDK LOL
    I just know I was all good both times
    Good luck :)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My dr. calls it "glucola" it's a glucose drink that you need to take so they can draw your blood and see how it effected you to make sure you don't have gestational diabetes. Drink it slow!!! I nearly puke every time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• its a sugar drink to see how your body tolerates sugar and if it is a number over 140 for your results after an hr it means your body handles sugar like a diabetic and need to take precautions so that it doesn't harm you or the baby, i had GD and i almost passed out due to low blood sugar not something to mess around with
    happygolucky210

Answer by happygolucky210 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It doesn't really taste that bad. Atleast the stuff I got didn't. It just tastes like sugary kool-aid or something. I got to pick Fruit Punch or Orange. Just drink it fast because I think they tell you you have so many minutes to drink it in. Then you have to sit for an hour. It tests for gestational diabetes I believe.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It's a glucose (sugar) drink. They want to see how your body processes sugar to make sure you don't have gestational diabetes, or if you do have it they can treat it. Most women with GD can manage it with diet and exercise, but if it is unmanaged you can have a huge baby and other health issues associated with diabetes.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Omgosh, a huge baby.
    Eeeek. Just the sound of that creeps me out!
    brookethomas

Answer by brookethomas at 10:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009