Treating a fever, What temp. do you start to treat at?

I want to know when you treat and why? There will be no judging from me.

This is not for bashing!!! I am just wondering if I should treat my children's fevers at lower temps.

For me: I was told 102 or higher treat, but anything under 102 don't. The reasoning I was given is that germs don't survive well in higher temps and that children feel "better" when treated too early and don't rest properly, but anything over 102 should be treated because children become too uncomfortable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I treat each of my children differently when it comes to fevers. With my son who was born with Down Syndrome, i treat at anything 101 or higher because if i don't treat it right away it tends to spike up to 104. WIth my other 2 i don't treat until it gets closer to 102. Unless they are in some discomfort.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Ive been told mby my childs dr that it is not a "real" fever til 102.
    To not do anything til then .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If my kids have any level of fever and they are feeling like crap, then I treat it.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If my son is running a fever that means he's REALLY sick and miserable, then I am treating the pain, not so much the fever. My daughter will start vomitting once her temp gets above 102, so I usually have to treat the fever around 101
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• 100.4 is a fever. It depends on the age, like you said if you treat them at 100 they start to feel better and want to play and run around instead of rest. Until my son turned one I would give him tylenol as soon as he had a fever but now I try to get him to rest first and check it again to make sure it doesn't get higher.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 10:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• So everyone kind of uses their mother's intuition? :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Doctor told me anything over 100 or if he is really dragging, looks miserable, ect. It really depends on what he has though. They always call from school telling us he has a higher fever than we read when he gets home. He is just getting over a bout of flu and the doc said to keep him dosed because the flu the doctor was seeing could randomly spike and he wanted to keep it down as much as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Sep. 16, 2009