How much should my 4 month old be eating?

She is FF, and is currently taking 5-6oz every 2-3 hours. Sometimes she will hold off 4, but that is very rare. Not sure if I should be starting cereal w/ her yet or not?. Dr. says to try and hold off til at least 6 months. I don't always go by the dr. but just wanting to know other opinions. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow, you have a great doctor! Most doctors start telling you you can introduce solids at 4 months, but the latest research and AAP suggestions say not to, that waiting until 6 months reduces baby's risk of eating disorders, obesity, diabetes etc etc. So definately hold off on the solids. And the cereal offers little or no real nutrition for the baby, and they can't digest the starches properly until closer to a year. Ideal first foods are fruits and vegetables.

Also, if she is gaining weight fine then don't worry how much she's eating. I think 5 or 6 oz every 2-3 hours sounds perfect.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• As long as she is growing, you are doing fine. Babies can grow off of formula and breastmilk alone until 12 months. As long as she is getting enough formula, I'd try to hold off on cereal. The sooner you introduce cereal, the sooner you could introduce allergies as the cereal is made in the same vats at other items that can contain nuts.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2009