Am I a bad mother

I work an odd shift 3p-3a Therefore , alot of the time I dont get home til 4 and don't fall asleep until about 5. After working 2 or 3 days in a row I feel so tired because my son is awake by 8 or 9. I had started taking him to story time at one of the book stores and I just dont feel like it after work. Am I a bad mother. Also changeing shifts is not an option because there are no openings

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NOPE!!!!
    You're a mommy busting your ass to provide, dont feel bad for that!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Not a bad mom, just a sleep deprived one! Not taking him to storyhour isn't the end of the world as long as you are taking time to do other things with him, even if it's sitting at home and reading. If you're working 12 hr shifts, I'm assuming you aren't working 5 days a week so perhaps on the off days you can focus on taking him for other activities?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• yes! just kidding, of course you are not! if i were you i wouldn't want to take him to the book store because i would want to spend as much quality time at home anyway. plus you don't have the energy for that for obvious reasons. now if you were getting a full 8 hours of sleep and then home with your kid for 8 hours and just watched tv all day instead of doing stuff with him, that would be a different story. you don't have a lot of time or sleep so you just treasure the time you have with him and don't feel guilty. i hope that you can get on a better shift in the future sweetie. it sucks working that shift but it will be even worse if your child goes to school in a few years, you wouldn't get to see him much at all. :( good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• NO NO NO!! You are a wonderful mother. You work hard to provide a good life for your son, and you clearly are concerned about his well-being. Taking your child to story time does not make you a good mother, and not doing it does not make you a bad one. Spend the time you have with him and read to him yourself. You don't want to be driving with him in the car if you are tired anyway. As long as he is loved and well taken care of, you are doing great. Good luck!
    Jessie.Rayot

Answer by Jessie.Rayot at 3:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009