So as a Christian do let your child watch disney movies and not harry potter?

I am curious as to how you differentiate between the two? Harry potter uses magic? But in Disney movies there is also magic. There is also a show on disney channel called Wizards of waverly palace. My husband says that show makes magic look like a typical everyday lifestyle while harry potter is in a far off place. I'm not comfortable with all of the magic in harry potter or wizards of waverly palace. But then I got to thinking about disney movies and how there is magic in those. So how do you decide which line not to cross?? I want my children to enjoy movies I just don't want them to think its ok to be doing magic spells and such. What do you allow your children to watch? If you have nothing nice to say than please do not respond...lets keep it nice please :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is such a thing as reality and knowing the difference. She watches whatever she wants mostly and whatever we have on tv. As long as you teach them the difference, they can really watch what you want.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• No, that is stupid and they also did dress up for Halloween. All these things have not thing to do with religion. It is called "Entertainment"

My kids have God in their heart and that is what is important and they also grow up very happy.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Um yea, my children know the difference between reality and fantasy. Harry Potter and Wizards of Waverly Place are FANTASY NOT REAL. That and I'm not against shows like that. I am Christian but I also know what Pagan and Wiccan is TRULY about, not what it's been taught to be. And Those shows have NOTHING to do with Pagan or Wiccan, they are just fantasy shows
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• As a christian I have let my kids watch anything PG rated. My girls are 13 & 9, I watch anything PG13 before I let them see it. They have never had a problem but they are also not big TV or movie watchers.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 10:58 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh and just a thought...Disney: Aladdin has a flying carpet and a genie so it's the same as Harry Potter in that regard
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Wizards of Waverly place and Harry Potter teach magic but other Disney films like Sleepy Beauty, Cinderella the focus is not on magic but going from being a no body to a somebody and on soon my prince will come and set me free. Things like that.
    That's the difference.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i don't think there's any difference, and its fiction, on both counts. my son watches a show called 'dragon tails'..i love it (not the show, because i'm not into cartoons)! i'm a bigtime fantasy-fiction lover, always have been, always will be. but that's just it..its fiction! entertainment, imagination, play, etc.-- when the kid is old enough to worry about where his hard-earned taxes are going and whether or not he can disagree with someone of an opposite ethnicity without being called 'racist'..he'll appreciate his carefree childhood, and remember it fondly. until then, if it gives him joy and stimulates his imagination, awesome.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I dont let my son watch either because of the way both portray Purity to be. God calls our children to be pure and blameless when you put those kinds of the things, about young teens kissing and with no supervision you allowing your kid to experiement at a young age what impure thought and feelings and desires and pleasures look like. Atleast this is how I feel
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am a Christian- I waited until my child was 10 before letting her watch harry potter/Wizards of waverly place. So she would be able to know the difference between reality & fiction. As Christians we sometimes put too many rules/ expectations on our kids. Then we wonder why most kids rebel or worst deny GOD. did you know over 50% of kids don't become Christians when they leave home. I feel that most kids 10-12 are ready to choose for their selfs what to watch as long as its PG OR UNDER PG 13 IF PARENT(S) SEEN IT FIRST. Humans learn from mistakes if we never make mistakes we can never learn, grow. or become a better person. my four kids know the truth about the easter bunny, santa etc. because although I encourage them pretending I don't believe in lying to them.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am Catholic. My kids watch Disney and Harry Potter. However, my MIL is Assembly of God. A few years back her church was doing a boycott on all Disney shows.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009