I think my furnace or thermostat is broken, could anyone help or give me advice?

We just moved in and got the gas turned on yesterday. My fiance cranked the thermostat up to 90 just to see if it was working. Then we turned it all the way back down to where there are no numbers. It keeps going on, it's 62 outside and I have the windows open since it's a nice day. I have it all the way down but it won't stop, and my upstairs rooms are boiling hot. Is there a way I can just turn the furnace down, like in the basement the actual furnace part? I just don't want my gas bill through the roof when we don't even need to use it, it's throwing money out the window.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• call someone to come fix it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It sounds like the thermostat is stuck.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yup-I would venture to day it's the therostat sticking. You should have a breaker box feeding the furnace. If you were to trip that breaker, it would at least shut it off.
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 10:53 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• prolly stuck thermostat call your land lord

is there a shut off on your thermostat like mine has heat off cool....
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It is the oldest thing I have ever seen it only has a dial and 50-100 There is no "on" "off" "heat" "a/c" it's just 50 -100

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Call the landlord, that thermostat is older than the house I think....(its really old) He needs to put in a new one, they dont cost very much, he could even get a digital one that is more accurate for under 50 bucks, and it is his responsibility to fix it :) (and one with an on/off switch) And yes, if he doesnt fix it soon, your gas bill will be through the roof. Its pretty easy to switch out a thermostat, shouldnt take more than about 20 mins
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009