Do you think it would be stupid or wrong to ask my doctor to induce me a little early?

I'm probably going to get shit for this but I don't care. My due date is November 5th. They told me they will induce at 41 weeks. I'm afraid of having the baby on November 13, partly because it's Friday the 13th but also because one of my best friends died on that day (last year). I just DON'T want that to be her birthday. Should I ask them about it now? If I'm dilated or having signs of coming labor before that day should I ask them to do it on the 11th? GAH what would you do?

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 10:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First off, a successful induction can only occur if your cervix is "ripe" (thinning and soft). If it is not ripe, an induction has a high risk of failure and your chances of a c-section are increased. Secondly, yes, technically, pregnancy CAN go to 42 wks before it is REALLY post term, but I know of NO Ob doc that will let a pt go that long. The longest I have seen is41 and a few days. Babies do most of their weight gain the last few wks, you could be in for trouble if the baby gets too big for a vaginal delivery (4th degree tears, shoulder probs for the baby, failed vaginal deliveries). Also, the placental function decreases as pregnancy goes past the due date, more chances for probslike impaired oxygen to the baby, meconium, etc. Thirdly, you are not out of line at ALL! If the day the doc is talking about inducing you on is traumatic for you, another day can easily be chosen. Open communication btwn you and your doc is key.
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I personally would just wait.
    You may go in to labor on your own ,
    I was induced yes but for medical reasons.,
    If you dont want the 13the then just tell your dr you have a problem with that date and see if he will do it the next day ,
    Id wait it out tho you may go before your due date anyways :)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't. Induction comes with a lot of risks for you and your baby. Try to accept that if she comes on the 13th then that is her way of paying tribute to your late friend. It will be a special birthday for both of you. A responsible doctor wouldn't induce you because of superstition anyway. Medical reason only, mamma. Sorry I couldn't tell you what you wanted to hear.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My kids Birthday is May 13. It is just a date you are making it worse than it is. YOU MAKE YOUR LUCK, be positive. Make it day of happiness. Change it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• it depends on your dr i had last one induced and had to an amino first but my reasons were i kept having contractions and no progress and it was middle of winter and the closest hospital was 45 minutes away on a good day, we were in the middle of no where and roads werent always plowed. so me and dr decided it would be in everyone best interest to induce.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would let nature take it's course. The side effects on a baby from induction vary but mine ended up in the NICU for 2 weeks from the meds and being a little early even though I was only 2 days from my due date.
    I have gestational diabetes and the doc was afraid that she was getting too big...she was 1.5 lbs smaller than he predicted...If I'd known, she would have cooked a little longer.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I don't think that's wrong. It's still 6 days AFTER your due date. It's not like your asking them to induce you early. I would wait to see how you progress towards the end before you bring it up though. You still have about 7 weeks? or so.
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• personally i would wait. if there's no medical reason for inducing, then induction is not needed. being "overdue" is not a real reason for induction. just wait until baby wants to come. the risks are not worth it.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:59 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well it depends on tests as your date gets closer. Just remember that out of a date with bad tides will come that date with precious memories if baby comes on that date. How about writing a story honoring your friend and saving it to share with baby? Your friend could actually be guiding you to a most meaningful date of memory of her and your baby combined. Bad things happen not because of dates but because of fate. Focus on baby and be knowledgeable about what you want in your birthing plan with the best doctors you have.

Congratulations To YOU, baby will lift your spirits and honor your friend so close to passing a beloved baby arrives.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Baby girl you have your right to what you believe in. Im sure your doctor would love to do so though! Doctors get paid more for inductions as they mostly lead to c-sections (b/c the meds keep the contracts comming strong - then women want the pain meds and that slows the contractions and puts the baby at greater risk for fetal distress and lowwer heart rate) Think about it a little more and maybe so some research first.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009