Are insurance companies abusing women?

Have you ever been abused by your partner? If so, you could be denied health insurance coverage because in 8 states (ID, MS, NC, ND, OK, SC, SD, WY) Washington DC, being the victim of domestic abuse can be considered a pre-existing condition. So if you stay, you continue to get beaten but if you report it and leave, you could be risk being denied coverage? That seems like an unbelievably cruel way to punish the victim of a crime. According to the article (linked below) a bill was introduced in 2006 to stop this but it was brought down in committee by 10 no votes (all from republicans). What do you think about this horrible policy? And if you are disinclined to believe it because of source of the article, please post a credible link.

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 11:01 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• One more piece of evidence the insurance system needs a huge overhaul.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Here is the link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/14/when-getting-beaten-by-yo_n_286029.html
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I lived in OK and I got beat and I did get insurence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I've always thought that, ever since seeing first hand the days Insurance companies would not cover breast augmentation after surgery for FCBD or even cancer, facial repairs after abuse or car accidents, and would not cover BCP's at one point but yet, would pay for penile implants, viagra and propecia for hair loss. Unbelievable.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yes, as an earlier poster pointed out it is pretty common place for women to get the short end of the stick medical and insurance wise.
    reelo

Answer by reelo at 11:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• WTF! That is so messed up! It's as bad as the young woman who was diagnosed with cancer of the uterus, and told that becasuse she had a YEAST INFECTION TEN YEARS AGO it was a "pre-existing condition" and she wasn't covered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You need to post a credible link if you are going to post something about this. I don't have to look up anything. I will avoid this unless you can produce something legit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Feel free to remain ignorant then, anon. Avoid to your heart's content.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Answered at 8:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 by: Anonymous
    You need to post a credible link if you are going to post something about this. I don't have to look up anything. I will avoid this unless you can produce something legit.

Lazy much? Do your own work or go on to the next question. It's not hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Sorry OP, I went through 6 google pages and couldn't find a credible source.

We lived in OK for 4 years and my hubby is from SD. We have never heard of this before.

I will be happy to get outraged if you can provide some sources besides the blogs and forums I found.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009