Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My toilet has been "running" for weeks and my landlord hasn't got around to fixing it. Does anyone know what the part in the back of the toilet is called, where I could get it and how much it would cost me to replace it?

I know nothing about plumbing lol but my water bill was OUTRAGEOUS. They will adjust it if I get it fixed but I don't know where to look!


Asked by MommyKKay at 11:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 12 (666 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • It's usually the float mechanism or the rubber flapper that are the problem. They're cheap, but you need to shut off the water to replace them, so if you don't have a shut off valve by the toilet, you may have to have your landlord shut it off. Take the back off the tank and have a look. If the flapper is sitting properly but the water's still running, it will need replacing. If the flapper isn't seated correctly, you may be able to adjust the chain to make it seat properly. All the parts are cheap--the flappers cost a few bucks, the float costs a few bucks, not expensive at all, and the stuff is easy to replace. You can probably find a youtube video of how to replace the whole thing if you need help.

    Answer by SWasson at 11:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Walmart in the plumbing section...its easy to install.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Oh and it's about $15

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • call you local renters rights office

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 AM on Sep. 16, 2009