why do babies get fevers when they are teething??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have some theories. agian THEORIES! :)

1. the body has a fever as a nautral defense against an invasion. It's possible the body misinterprets the ripping of the gums as an invasion and is trying to heal that part of the body.
    2. more realisticly, teething causes kids to drool more and put things in their mouth to chew on and relieve pain. Putting things in your mounth means you are exposed to more germs. Kids therefore are simply more likely to get sick when teething. I think the excess saliva is why people think teething cuases diahrrea, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• That is one of lifes greatest mysteries. My son never got a fever with teething, but my daughter did with every fricken tooth
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well from what I have been told by doctors ....It is a myth. If your baby has a fever it is not caused by teething...its one of those great myths everyone seems to believe....
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:17 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Its a myth, teething does not cause fever, if your baby has a fever, there is something else going on.
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2009