Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support

I have a court date set up in 2 weeks for child support case i have had my papers for 2 months i keep contacting my lawyer and they have not served him yet b/c they claim they can't find him does anyone know what is going to happen or what i should do if they can't find him to serve him?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • If they cant find him to serve him, they will either proceed without him and order his child support anyways, or they may possibly postpone it until they can get him served. If you, or someone else knows where to find him you can tell the courts or whoever so they can get him served.

    Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • I've been trying to drag my ex into court for over a year for paying child support. He's been dodging the subpoena and Child Support Enforcement keeps postponing the court date (it's happened 3 times now) so they can try to serve him.
    I have a private attorney for child custody and she hired someone in plain clothes to wait outside his door until he tried to leave and serve him then. There are agencies that do that, but the state support enforcement agency doesn't want to pay the money. I would pay for it if they would let me!!

    Answer by missanc at 12:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • ya they will maybe issue a continuance. Or just order his sorry ass to pay anyway. , That really pisses a guy off ( boo fucking hoo imo) to find out he is incurring back support cause he don't step up !   good luck hon  get what your kid deserves !!!


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Update their info to help them serve the papers if you can. It took forever to get my divorce because he made it difficult to serve papers and then wouldn't show up for court dates. If they can't find him to serve papers, eventually what they will do is post notice of the hearing in the newspapers in the vicinity of his last known address and will consider that notice of the hearing. But it takes a long time before they will do that.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 1:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • I know that here in Cali they will issue an order for child support regardless especially if the father is listed on the birth cert. If he does not pay, it will turn into a back support issue and eventually will catch up to him. They will eventually garnish wages, take tax refunds, suspend a driver's license, and can even lead to jail time. In the meantime, try the newspaper thing. Courts are doing that more and more.

    Answer by LUVWJ at 1:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.