NY dad told soldier-son killed in war — he wasn't.. WTH I dont know what I would do . What about you ???

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090916/ap_on_re_us/us_afghanistan_not_dead

BUFFALO, N.Y. – An Army unit is reviewing how it delivers information to families after a call to a western New York couple led them to believe their son had been killed in combat.

Ray Jasper of Niagara Falls said he, his wife, Robin, and their extended family spent four hours Sunday mourning their son, Sgt. Jesse Jasper, before learning from his girlfriend that he was alive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Someone would be in big trouble for that one. That information travels through many channels before it makes it to the family so someone will no doubt lose their job over this little mishap.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Perhaps it was an honest mistake. Information gets screwed up all the time. Even computers are wrong, know why cuz an imperfect human being designed it. So mistakes are bound to happen and some of them are BIG ones, but a mistake none the less. I'm sure the family was upset at first but the fact that their loved one was still alive over shadowed it all in the end.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• While I can see the stress put upon the family. I have to think about how many of these calls the military must make to families. And how many times is there an error? I mean no one is perfect. Yes they should review the incident and make sure whomever dropped the ball is delt with and the situation corrected to limit these mistakes as much as possible; but nothing is ever 100%.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh those poor parents! Can you just imagine the trauma of being told your CHILD is DEAD? Then of course it's wonderful to find out it was a case of mistaken identity, but still, you've gone through hours or days of the worst pain that life can inflict on a parent, thinking their child is dead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2009