not sure but i was told that while breastfeeding you wouldnt get a period. My baby is 8 weeks old and i hadnt bleed but the 2 1/2 weeks post pardum bleeding. i had the mirena put in on thursday and i bleed for the rest of the afternoon. and yesterday i started?

Is this normal i have no one to ask about breastfeeding . i do not supplement or anything just the breast..
Do i have to worry or what???

brittanybell

Asked by brittanybell at 11:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its not that you WONT get a period, its that you are less likely.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• When i breastfed my first born, i didnt get a cycle at all. I breastfed for 3 months and didnt get a cycle till 6 months postpartum. I guess you could get one but like carolyn said its less likely. Also, my doctor told me about that device you got and it could cause some women to bleed and others to not. It all depends on your body and the way is reacts to it.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Exactly..less likely. I exclusively breastfed and the first time it was 8 months before I got a period and the second it was 6 months. Just depends on the body!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh yeah, I forgot that part too, my friend got the IUD and bled for 2 months straight and had to have it removed. So...if it lasts longer than 2 weeks, please call your doctor.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• some people get their period right away while breastfeeding, some it is just delayed, some don't get it at all until they wean. i have also seen posts of people bleeding after getting IUDs so you might want to look into that as a side effect...?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• With my first I ebf and didn't get af for 7 or 8 months. Right now I have a 7 week old and have had spotting 3 different days, not in a row, and I bf as well. You might just be bleeding b/c of the hormones. Some people dohave reactions to different birth control, when I was on depo I bled heavy for 6 months straight.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Since you had an IUD put in, you will have your period now. Had you not done that you may have gone months w/o a period. But Hormonal BC will restart your cycle and cause you to have a period.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 12:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• you can still get a period while bf. some people get a period the whole time they bf some just a few and others dont get one.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009