How many weeks................

past your due date can you go without going into labor on your own? I am going to try for a vbac and since my first was 9 days late I ended up being induced which lead to a c-section from other complications.

Gelijones

Asked by Gelijones at 11:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 2 at most doc wont let you go farther if even that long
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You better ask your OB. i have a friend (online friend) who was trying for VBAC and her doctor didn't want to let her go past her due date so he schedule c-section for a couple days after. good luck!

(she actually ended up going into labor on her own before then, but was in labor for 3 days without dilating at all so he did c-section and turns out she was about to rupture at her old scar. i'm not trying to scare you, i personally think vbac is the best choice with the least risks for you and baby, but as you most likely know there is that 1% chance of rupture, and she was unlucky.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Some people NEVER go into labor on there own...
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• """Some people NEVER go into labor on there own... """

BUT they would if they would let things happen. you will not just stay pregnant forever. of course in some cases it is best for baby for you to be induced, but those are few and far between imo. almost all women go into labor on their own by about 42.5 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• No sorry, regarding the poster above me...some people NEVER go into labor on their own. It is rare, but it does happen. If you have an abnormally shaped pelvis or if the baby is too large...you may never go into labor on your own. There are other reasons as well. Like I said, it is rare...but it does happen. As and L&D nurse, I know this to be true.
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i don't really believe that having a large baby or abnormal pelvis would mean that you wouldn't go into labor. how does being a nurse make you know that, did you all test it out on a few to see and they were at 11 mos still pg or something? i'm not trying to be too snarky but why would large baby mean you wouldn't go into labor? i mean if your baby was really really large, you might have major problems but labor would start, right? if you have any references i would love to read them. thanks! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I speak from having 10 years of labor and delivery experience...that is how I know....
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OK i want to apologize to OP for going way off topic there but i really was curious ....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• most doctors wont let you go a week past your due date because after that the baby starts losing weight in the womb and thats obviously not a good thing these days people arent pregnant for more then 41 wks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• So is it safe to go beyond 42 weeks? I am going to ask my doctor this on Friday, but just asking in case he says something different, I am prepared to ask more questions. My other concern is can they use pitocin if you are not progressing? I know pitocin causes contractions to be more intense so I'm afraid of rupturing if they try to use this, but sometimes it needs to be used which was the case with my dd. I went into labor and after 20 something hours of labor it stopped then they started pitocin for about 8 hours and didn't work.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 12:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009