My Daughter is not liking solids???

Any tips on what to try what not to try??? We have tried peas and squash and she does not like them what so evere.

Mo-mama

Asked by Mo-mama at 12:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you heating them? my daughter started with squash but ended up liking carrots and green beans most so keep trying.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If I read your profile right, your daughter is only 6 months old.No worries! Food at this age is purely for practice, not nutrition.

It takes getting used to...the different textures and tastes. And please don't mistake the silly faces and food falling out as not liking it! She is practicing. It will take a little while to learn how to use her tongue to keep food in her mouth. Try putting it further back on her tongue and I bet you will have better results (I did)

Kaylee did really well with Carrots, sweet peas, and sweet potatoes. Try to stay away from the fruits until you have veggies established to avoid her getting used to the sweet.

My 16 month old STILL makes silly faces if she gets something new and i am sure she will hate something, but ends up eating it all, hehe
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Just keep trying. Everywhere I've read it takes on average like 7 times/different tries for a baby to get used to something. Try sweet potatoes, she might like that 'cause they are a little sweeter.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• how ols is she??

My son was EBF until he was 10 months old...the first foods we tried were bananas and sweet potatoes that I made in the toaster oven.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Try a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 1:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• She may not be ready yet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009