Postpardum bleeding

How long did you bleed(for vaginal births) afterwards? I'm going on three weeks and wondering if its normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, that's normal. My doctor told me the average is 4 weeks...I bled 7!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i bled for about 3 weeks and have had some discharge for 2 weeks....it sucks
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• this is called "lochia" and can continue for 4-6 weeks postpartum. It goes through several stages...lochia rubra (true bleeding) should only last for about a week, then it progressively turns, pink, brown, tan then white. If you are still having lochia rubra 3 weeks later (true red bleeding) this is NOT normal. You may have some retained placenta. You are at risk for anemia, and possibly problems with breastfeeding. Get it checked out.
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i bled for 4 weeks. and then the week after i started my period :(
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 12:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• freakin' 6-7 weeks BOTH times! It was red then lightend to a dark pink. It never did get to pale pink it just eventually slowed and stopped as a normal cycle would. It sucked because you couldn't use tampons. Yuck!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Lucky you!! I had a c-section and bleed for 5 months after wtf the doctor said because I had the depo shot in the hospital after I had my daughter I thought I would bleed forever
    Slimgirl1981

Answer by Slimgirl1981 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I had bleeding for 6 weeks after my first and then with my second I had a c-section and hardly had any bleeding at all.....I guess you just never know for sure and there is a wide range of normal.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Between 2-4 weeks. The longest was with my youngest and I was just not able to rest and heal the way I should have because I had all these other kids I had to take care of. If you are still bleeding after 3-4 weeks, your body is telling you that you need to stay off your feet and rest more so it can heal.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I bled for 6 wks w/ my daughter,2-3 w/ my son 5 yrs ago. When I asked the dr. about it w/ my daughter I was told that I was doing way to much, and thats why it lasted a lot longer. It was awful.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• the doctors say u can bleed up to 6 or more weeks after. I honestly got lucky i never got a heavy period to begin with maybe lasting 3 days every month now. and after i had my son i only had the after bith for about 6 days then my period 28 days later that lasted 4 days . everyone is different depends on age weight etc etc
    kcurci87

Answer by kcurci87 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 17, 2009