Pistol Packin' Mama

Given the rate of crimes against women we see occuring daily, what do you think of a mother who has a concealed weapon permit and carries a discrete little pistol with her everywhere to protect herself and her children? Paranoid or prudent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My only hope is that she doesn't let the kids know she has it,

That is the most dangerous, ignorant thing you could possibly do. All children should be taught gun safety as soon as their old enough to understand it, because you never know what they'll find under the bed playing hide and seek at someone else's house. But especially, kids in homes with guns need to know what and where they are and how to respect them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• good question. I'll have to really give it some thought and get back to ya.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Personally I dont' believe that carrying a handgun is going to protect anyone. I'm not against guns really, but will not allow a loaded weapon of anykind in my house, no need for them. But I do have a friend how is getting a concealed licence to carry her gun, I just dont' see them as nessesary, but I dont' take issue with it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• back...
    Ya know some women say they'll do just about anything to protect their children and perhaps for some getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon is one of those things. My only hope is that she doesn't let the kids know she has it, learns how to fire it as safe as possible, keeps it locked when not in her posession and never has to actually use it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am a Pistol Packin' Mama I have it for protection, just in case. But Paranoid NO!! I even forget to carry my "pink gun" a lot of times.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think it's prudent, but I think hiding the gun from the children is a good way to get them killed. They should see it as simply another tool to be used in the correct manner. This involves teaching them gun safety the same way you teach them to handle scissors or steak knives properly and safely.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• NP- that's why I said "keeps it locked when not in her posession". My mother had a gun in our home and kept it hidden from me locked away and I was none the wiser for it. Didn't know about the gun until I moved out of my parents home and was a single mother myself and my mother thought I should have a gun to protect me and my child.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• However NP I can also see your point. ANON 12:39
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think she's smart.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 12:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'm one of those pistol packn mamas. I am not paranoid, but have been attacked before. Sorry, 911 cannot always get there right away. And if someone breaks into my home, I'm going to assume they are there to hurt my family or myself. I will not allow anyone to hurt my kids or myself so if that means shooting someone, then that's what it means. They should not be on my property or in my house by force. I have taught my children from a young age what a gun is and whats its for and that we do not play with guns ever. I was taught the same thing as a child and never had any problems. Don't get me wrong, I don't leave it where they can reach it, but I also do not keep it a secret. I have taken many classes and go to ranges so if I aim for something I won't miss. I know my weapon and I know how to use it and am not afraid to do so if necessary. Paranoid, no. But my family and I will not be a statistic or victims if I can help it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009