What is the longest they will let you go past your due date before they induce??

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• depends on your doctor some doctors will induced few days after your due date while others wait till 42 wks
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'm sure every dr might have a little different opinion. Mine wanted to go a week overdue before we would set a date for inducing.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My doctor will allow a week in half no more but i think it also has a lot to do with every women personal pregnancy. It really just depends on the size of the baby and how things have went in your pregnancy also if your losing fluid.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 12:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• With my 1st, I was due on Oct. 31 and her birthday is Nov. 13th. (End of 42nd week)
    I'm a natural / no drugs kind of Mama -- I didn't want to be induced. I also thought that my due date might have been too early, based on my own calculations about when I concieved.

In the last 2 weeks, they did a non-stress test & an ultrasound for baby and they closely watched my blood pressure, etc. We were both fine, so I was fine with waiting for labor to come.
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 12:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My provider doesn't have a deadline of how far they will let you go before they induce. Due dates are just estimates. They do daily monitoring after 42 weeks.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I was induced 9 days after my due date only b/c I did go into labor and it just stopped. It was not fun at all I just ended up having a c-section after 30 something hours of labor.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 12:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Normal human gestation is 38-42 weeks so a doctor that actually makes science based decision would not consider induction before 42 weeks. You are not overdue till after 42 weeks.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• "They" can only make suggestions and recommendations. You are the one who makes the final decision. "They" don't have to like it. I would never let someone else decide to induce me because of impatiece.

Some women are longer gestaters and they tend to have a family history. Also EDD calculation can be 2 weeks off because most women don't have a textbook menstrual cycle which is what Naegles rule is based on.

It is considered post dates after 42 weeks, but even after that if nothing is wrong they can monitor and wait.

I hate the term "overdue". It gives the impression that something is wrong when there is nothing wrong! 40 weeks is an average number. It means that some women go earlier than that and some women go later -- all of which are normal. That's why its called an average! You don't expire like a carton of milk. Not all babies gestate at the same time...its just the way biology works
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• it is totally up to you. do your research and know the risks of going past 42 or 43 weeks and the risks of induction and then you can make an informed decision with your own info and your provider's recommendations. :) my son was born at 41 weeks, but up to 43 weeks can be normal. most doctors will really start pressuring you around 42 weeks though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I was induced at 41 weeks, but that is because I was high risk for having big babies. I was set up to be induced at 41 weeks with my second daughter, but she came a few days before on her own. I think most doctors wait til 42 week, but it probably varies.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2009