Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am 36 weeks and I don't know how to add my daughter to my insurance once she gets here. I have Neighborhood Health Plan of RI and a medical assistance card (if anyone knows anything about RI).

I really could use the help and I've called the insurance company twice and they confused the heck out of me with 2 different answers.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • Ask them to send you documentation explaining how to add her.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • There has to be a phone number in the paper work you should have from the company. If not then goggle or bing the company name. They will know best what you can do. Good luck and congrats on the new baby.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Within a week of your DD's birth call the insurance companies and let them know that you need to add a new child to the policy. Not quite sure what Neighborhood Health plan is, but another way to do it is to contact the case worker or insurance agent who sold you the policy adn let them know that you need to add a new child and they will assist you. I know from experience how frustrating it can be when calling the insurance companies, so i would suggest contacting the person who signed you up.

    Congrats on the upcoming birth of your DD.

    Answer by ljmcmichael at 12:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • OP
    i went through the hospital's financial advisor to get the insurance in the first place. then i found out who was working my case and spoke to them. they said i'd need to fill out paper work when i'm at the hospital. the actual insurance company said that i'djust need to call and add her. i know that there is way more needed then that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • In the beginning there is not very much more needed to add a new child. Once you receive her social security number you will most likely need to fill out a form, listing her social and send it to them. With my youngest, we had both United Healthcare and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. On both of them, we called and spoke with a rep the day after he was born. Then about 6 weeks later, when we got his SS card we had to fill out a form that was less than a half page long.

    Answer by ljmcmichael at 1:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.