teeth brushing

So my 9 month old hates her teeth getting brushed I use to use the finger brush but I started with a tooth brush and she hates it but I want her to get use to it so I use that but then will use the finger brush after to make sure I get them brushed. I know she is teething on the top her gums are so swollen that i think that could be why she hates the tooth brush maybe because its hits it I'm not sure... Any advice you have to get her to enjoy brushing her teeth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give her a brush to gnaw on and when she gets done say it's mommies turn.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh, and I had to holdmy daughter down for about a month before she would finally willingly let me brush her teeth.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I didn't start brushing my DD teeth until she was a year. I bought her 2 toothbrushes and 2 tube of fluoride free toddler paste. Each time we brushed her teeth I let her pick which toothbrush and which tooth paste to use. It was kinda a game for her. She got very excited. I would brush her teeth, then give her the tooth brush to finish her own teeth. I found that if I brushed my teeth at the same time it helped. As a toddler, getting into a power struggle is never a good idea. My brother who is a dentist said brushing once per day is enough. So I make sure that happens, but I offer tooth brushing time 2 -3 times a day. I never push it though - if she doesn't want to I don't make her - not at this age.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 12:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Emi has been "brushing" her teeth for 5 months. We started at 6 months old. I brush mine while she chews on a brush. Then she opens wide and lets me brush them a bit.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Go to babyrus, walmart or target to find soft toothbrush for her. That shape is different from regular toothbrush and it's all made of silicon. She can chew on in the same time it brushes her teeth. I loved it using on my youngest. Hope this help...my two cents.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• give her the tooth brush while you brush your teeth, babies/children love to imitate their parents. when your done try brushing them for her. make sound like fun too. maybe make up a song to sing before you brush your teeth.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009