If you are a Christian do you get involved in politics? Why or why not. Is what you do based on scriptures, your opinion or feeling

I was just thinking that the problems we have worldwide are mostly due to governments. Not to mention the bible talks about in the end the government trying to stop religion. The bible does talk a lot about government but never in a good way. So it got me thinking as a Christian is it not best to stay neutral and not get involved. Scriptures are more important to me because I know a human can have an opinion but gods is always better. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• GOOD QUESTION
    The Textbook of Christianity, the Bible, tells us why those early Christians shunned politics. It shows that a fundamental principle of Christianity is separateness from the world. And the early Christians changed their lives to live up to this requirement for right worship. Said the Bible writer James: “The form of worship that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world.” “Adulteresses, do you not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God.” To delve into politics would mean to show friendship for the world, and to show friendship for the world would mean to make oneself an enemy of God. That is why the early Christians shunned politics.—Jas. 1:27; 4:4, NW.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 1:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Jesus: “My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source.”—John 18:36, NW.

God’s kingdom is no mere social reform. It is the government that will rule the universe. To make way for the universal rule of God’s kingdom, the Bible shows, the political governments of this world must be destroyed. Not from men will come this destruction, but from God. Declared the prophet Daniel: “In the days of those kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed, nor shall the sovereignty thereof be left to another people; but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.”—Dan. 2:44, AS.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 1:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yeah I am politically involved because I agree with Jefferson when he penned in the Declaration of Independence that the rights of man were given to us by our creator; and that's not something to take lightly.

Overall, I think official church positions should be neutral, except when there's an obvious and direct relevance to their doctrines that have long been in in place. For example, I wouldn't expect the Catholic church to remain neutral on Abortion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OP- hmmmm.....no one else? I thought this would be a great topic to chat about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think the plans of God will take course no matter what we do.

...and I think we do have a responsibility to at least fulfill our civic duty and vote as a way of expressing gratitude to God for the rights and freedoms we have now....regardless of how long they may or may not last.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think the early Christians shunned politics less because they were trying to be seperate from the world and more because they lived under the Roman Empire and most of them were not able to get involved as Jews. Paul was a Roman citizen and he had more rights because of that, but he couldn't just run for office or vote for the next magistrate.

In our country we have the ability to vote and run for public office. I think that is great. I agree with the anon above who posted about Thomas Jefferson. I think it is proper for us to be involved in politics. Jesus tells us to be salt-- full of flavor and able to preserve what it comes in contact with.

I vote, I sign petitions, I call and write my elected officials. I don't put my faith in politics or politicians, but in God. My King is Jesus, but I can be His ambassador down here : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Personaly i dont get involved because i dont feel as a christian i should be involved there are plenty of non-christans who will be involved in politics. God is going to do as he will anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i agree with babaybella. God will put an end to human governments. I stay away from politics.

daniel 2:44

44 “And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009