Gas and Dogs...

My dog has had the WORST gas the past two days- he is eating the reg dog food- but I can NOT handle the smell anymore! I have been trying to keep him outside, but he barks- what can I do?

Asked by jessicasea at 7:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pets

• those 'sacs' are called anal glands- they are on both sides of the 'rear end'. they contain a STINKY lubricating fluid that normally empties with bowel movements. often in smaller dogs, sometimes in larger, they can become impacted/swollen. dogs usually scoot and lick excessively in that area. in such a case, the sacs must be 'expressed' [squeezed] by a vet to empty them- it smells horrible. some dogs need it done regularly, but i doubt this is your problem. try a change in diet. many pet/retail stores sell dog safe 'gas tablets' that work wonderful. good luck!

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• if the food that you are feeding him has the first or second ingregdent of corn that is your problem try diamond naturals in lamb and rice or chicken and rice and that should help your problem some..........corn is a very gassy food hence the reason we use it to make gas for cars..........

Answer by kidronwise at 7:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I know this is going to sound like a smart answer, but have you lit a candle? It helps burn the sulfer in the air!

Answer by StampsNWhatnot at 7:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• When I was younger...much younger we had a dog that had that same problem. Every so often we had to take her to the vet to have a small sac punctured inside her rectum that contained either a sort of oil or something. I know that as soon as she got that done she was STANK for a couple hours but then she was good to go for a long time! Hope this helps. Ask your vet about this. You might feel funny doing so but it's worth it.

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 9:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Being outside is probably a great thing for him. Many times if a dog has an upset stomach, they will eat grass and it does something to help their digestion. This could be a sign of illness, if it his vet.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008