Why do some parents not think it's important to pay for their childcare?

I have been a stay at home mom for the last 5 years. I feel that since I am blessed with the ability to stay at home, I can help other mothers by babysitting for them while they work. (I treat the kids like they are my own and charge far less than daycares in my area.) The only problem is that I run into parents who will not pay for their childcare, but still seem to have money to go out, etc. What are they thinking? Why would they do that?

When I was a working mother, I always paid for my childcare as soon as I got paid. I knew that if I didn't I wouldn't be able to go to work and nothing would get paid!

I had a parent this morning bring a child to me when they owe me for 2 weeks

AND the child didn't even have shoes on!!!!!

scrap.bookinit

Asked by scrap.bookinit at 1:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• well you are letting them get away with it. quit letting them take advantage of you
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Man...I only can say that I am sorry... Some people are just so irresponsiable but what can you do? Maybe just not daycare their kids or something. I think you know what you should do.
    I have a question...how do you start the daycare thing in your home? How do you let people know about this?
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I totally agree and I normally wouldn't have let her go that far but this is the mother of my daughter's friend so I held out hope that she'd be different and that's a slippery slope!

My question is: Whether I let them get away with it or not, why do they do that in the first place? Shouldn't she be just as concerned about it being HER daughter's friend's mother??
    scrap.bookinit

Answer by scrap.bookinit at 1:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Here's what I would do....
    You pay me on Friday. You don't pay on Friday, your kid doesn't come back Monday morning unless you have cash in your hand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think people are misunderstanding the question... you know when you are being taken advantage and as to WHY people do it... because they are selfish and YOU are showing them how to treat you...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• People only treat you how you allow them to treat you.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I do home day care also as a SAHM. I have a 4 page contact they have to read and sign about behavior issues for older kids, Health treatment, being able to administer OTC and perscription meds (at parents orders not mine) and first aid. (A lot of cover my butt so I can't get sued for anything pages) I also have a page that is all by its self REQUIRING either a one week deposit by money order (amount applies to their last week of care) or payment on the day of care in cash before they get care. I have been screwed over before trying to help people out. Once a couple actually left their kids with me for 8 days.... day and night. Childrens services wouldn't come get them because I was willing to care for them but an investigation was done. Because I called the authorities they refused to pay me all the back amount they owed or for the 8 days I took care of them. If I collected all the moneys owed... I'd be able to go shopping!!!
    lildudesmomma

Answer by lildudesmomma at 6:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• "Here's what I would do....
    You pay me on Friday. You don't pay on Friday, your kid doesn't come back Monday morning unless you have cash in your hand"

I do home daycare and that is exactly what i do. Now i've had some parents that forget their checkbook, but they've always been responisble in other ways, so i let it slide and they bring me the check on monday. But i've had some parents that have be very irresponsible with always trying to not pay me by "forgetting". I told them, i get paid friday morning. If by the end of the day you don't have the money to me, you don't have care on monday. One parent had to drive all the way home (out of town) and back to pay me. I sat and had a drink and waited for her! (no kids left in my care by then of coarse).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2009