Why do some women feel that they do not need to do their part to provide for their children?

My hubby has an ex wife that is content to collect food stamps, medicaid and child support and refuses to get a job. The kids are in school and she stays home all day long. She lives with her parents, so she pays no rent, but crys she has no money. Why do some women feel that this is ok, to not have to do their part to financially provide for their children like the father does??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Immature and lazy. I feel for the kids since they are getting the message from mom that you can get a free ride in life. If I was dad I would want joint custody so the kids had as much time with me as mom so I could counter balance what she was teaching them. We actually got full custody of my husbands kids. His ex was like your husbands ex. We were able to show in court her lifestyle was damaging the children and the kids were developing a since of entitlement and due to her laziness she was not always properly supervising the kids. She didn't like having to get a job and paying child support.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Sounds like a lazy ass!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Just being LAZY!!! My husbands ex is the exact same way! She lives with her parents and pulls in child support from two different men! She works one day a week at Walmart because she had to have a paying job in order to receive child support from us!! So she sits at home and lets our tax dollars pay for her! I think it's wrong for ANY Sahm.. who doesn't make enough money to fully support the child while daddy works.. I think, unless DADDY makes GOOD money, mommy should get her butt up and work!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I have an ex husband who is collecting private disability (he goes canoeing and rock climbing - he's NOT disabled), but doesn't pay child support. He owes over 20K in back support. I have been providing for my child by myself for 4 years now and he has said that he doesn't think he should have to work because I don't work. The difference is that I am remarried and my dh wants me to stay home with our baby. He pays my bills and is supporting all 4 kids now, when only one is biologically his.
    Why do some men feel it's is okay to not have to financially provide for their children the way their mom does?

Answer by missanc at 1:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• There's a difference between being a SAHM, and what this lady is doing.

A SAHM is a full partner with her husband in running the household; and they divide responsibilities in a fair way they can both agree on that usually has them both doing a lot.

...and the money does need to be good enough to provide for basic needs without PA.

This lady is living with her folks; which means she doesn't even have household duties, and can probably even slack on caring for her kids, and is riding PA. That's what I call irresponsible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• In this case because she's a piece of trash...

However, I want to add that not all SAHM on PA are like this. As someone that was in that situation for some time, I chose to stay home and be on FS instead of going to work. WHY? Because the only jobs that I could get would force me to put my children in daycare which would cost more than I made... Prior to having kids I worked 60 hours a week and was lucky to clear $250 a week... And that's the best paying place around here... Daycare would have cost me $20 per day per child... I never would have made enough... We would have lost money by me working and the kids would have been raised by strangers. So, I staied home. BUT, I also took that time that they were napping and started a business, did what I could to provide for us, and now we don't need the FS... So, it's not always like her situation... But she is just nasty!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Sounds like you're bitter and jealous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009