What can you do about a screamer?

My 12 month old grandson lives with us (and his mommy and older brother too). The 12 month old is a screamer, and he is LOUD. Their rooms are on the 2nd floor of our home and even with his door shut, he will scream until he gets his own way, whether it's cheerios or just someone to pick him up. He can scream for an hour easy, not that we've ever let him do that, but I have NO doubt in my mind he could.

This is causing a HUGE uproar in our house. We cannot keep catering to the screamer, but we can't handle the noise and commotion either. Any suggestions????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, if you could handle the screaming for a couple of weeks, you could easily fix this problem.

You are a parent. You KNOW that if you keep giving into him, he is going to keep screaming. The ONLY way to fix it is to not give in, and let him scream or try to redirect him.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree. If you want him to stop screaming, stop letting him get his way when he does. Also, when he starts screaming, try redirecting his attention to something else. That may get him to stop sooner vs just letting him scream.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• ear plugs. LOL
    Just kidding!
    My kiddo is going thru that right now, he is 2. We use distraction. It has worked great for us. His screaming has calmed down a bit. Hopefully your grandson will outgrow it soon. Good luck.
    glittersteph

Answer by glittersteph at 1:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Ignore him and don't give in to him. As soon as he sees that the screaming doesn't get him anywhere, he'll stop.

If he's screaming because he can't communicate what he wants, then you need to work on that. Baby signs along with saying the words are a great way to do this. For example, if he's having a snack and wants more, when he screams, say to him "Oh, do you want more X?" and make the sign for "more " as you say it. If he wants a ball let's say, say to him "oh, do you want your ball??" and show him the ball. Encourage him to "use his words".
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• from the OP - the biggest problem is that my husband is a non-medicated bipolar. He literally cannot handle chaos and noise without getting really overwhelmed and stressed out. And yes, it was HIS idea to have daughter and 2 grandsons move in with us! So, unless I want to either kick out the screamer or my dh (neither, lol) we have to address this issue without letting the little monster (j/k) scream it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well, I DO agree with the PP but I understand the mental illness part. Maybe you DH could help by either leaving the house at these times so you can let him cry til he gives up ( and believe me, I have a stubborn one also so distraction doesn't always work - I get it! he has cried for 4 hours before too ) so he can either leave or seriously put in some ear plugs. It HAS to and WILL get worse before it gets better but the best thing to do NOW is to Not give in anymore - or it will get worse and louder and longer and harder to break later!!!!!!!! I say work hard for next 2 weeks, even if that means having DH stay in a hotel the first couple nights which will eb the worst? it will make their stay their MUCH more enjoyable !!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009