The Cool Parent

Okay my dh has always been the "cool dad". The one that spoils his daughters, is always giving them money, lets them go wherever, dress however, and on and on. Their friends love coming over to our house because there are no rules. He lets them throw parties and now that they are almost in the teen years (11 and 12) I worry if this is going to land him in big trouble down the road. He is such a care free easy going person , he says he is too young (29) to act like a hard-ass.
Ok so I am just the step mother here, but I would like to keep trouble at bay for the future.
Any hope I can get him to change? Anything I can say or do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think he's going to regret doing these things. Once they are teenagers they are going to be pretty wild, and if there are no rules now, setting rules later will be impossible!! He needs to step up and be their father, not their friend. Rules are so very important! If they think they can do it now, they will take that into their adult years, and they will be just as immature as he is now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• He needs to remember he is the childrens father and not their friend. At some point he will have to say no and he will have to grow up. What is he going to do when his daughter wants to have a boy sleep over. Parents like him usually say yes and then respond to the name grandpa or grandma not too much time later. He needs a parenting class on how to be a good parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009