do you think my 11 yrold should be fasting? PLEASE REMAIN CIVIL.

my ex-husband is Muslim. Our child says she fasting so she can feel how the poor feel and be more grateful for her food. BUT she has told many people she is Christian I am concerned she may be insulting both religions. Christians do fast but not usually as kids. PLUS she is thin so I worry about her getting sick from fasting. I don't say anything to either way if she eats ok, if not ok.
THIS ISN'T A RELIGION DEBATE SO PLEASE STICK TO THE QUESTION.

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 1:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• my opinion if a child wants to fast, ok, but make sure the day before the fast she eats very well and has fruits and vegetables and protein and fiber too, there are half day fasts and whole day fasts, whatever the reason, most bodies benefit from a fast, it gives the body a chance to heal and clean itself. even if the person is thin, it takes will power to fast a whole day, if you are a beginner at fasting, hope this helps !
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 1:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• our church did a fast at the beginning of the year.. and some of the kids wanted to fast also. instead of doing a total no food fast what u could have her do is a partial fast... she eliminates certain foods (its called a Daniel fast).. no meat... beans, brown rice, whole wheat breads, fruits, veggies.. this way she's still getting needed carbs but denying herself certain foods.. or maybe she could have just fruits and veggies for her dinner but eat normal for her breakfast and lunch. hope these suggestions help.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think she should be eating. Just from a health standpoint, if she is thin already she probably has a very fast metabolism, and therefore fasting, could cause all kinds of problems, your body goes into starvation mode, and begins breaking down itself to supply what it needs(ie, weakening bone for minerals, muscle for nutriets).
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• a one day fast or even a two day fast with no food will not do harm to the body. the human body is strong and intelligent, a fast is not going on starvation strike, its just a one day fast thats all. i believe its very good.
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 1:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If she is fasting for Ramadan it is just from dawn to dusk right?

I had many students who would fast for Ramadan. I don't think it is that big of a deal as long as she eats a good dinner. It is only temporary.

I am more concerned about why she is fasting. You might want to ask her what she really believes. Does she feel a connection to the Muslim faith or is she just trying to do something special with her dad? Is she celebrating this fast as a Christian or as a Muslim?

As a Christian, I take fasting seriously. It is not about just giving up food, it is about recieving spiritual strength, nourishment, and satisfaction from God. It is a time of great intimacy. I am sure Muslims feel the same way. So it would be good to talk to her about her faith, and find out who she is connecting with in prayer.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The muslim kids across the street are doing a modified fast for Ramadan.

Their parents say they don't have to fast because they are kids, but if they want to try for a few hours of the day they can; which is what the girls have chosen to do.

That seems like a reasonable approach for fasting children to me; I'd probably do the same.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It really depends on why she's doing it and how often she's doing it. If she's doing a specific religious fast like fasting for ramadan I'd be OK with that. Not eating from dawn to dusk isn't going to hurt anyone providing they don't have health issues like diabetes. I started doing the 24 hour famine for charity when I was 9 or 10 and it was fine.

If she's fasting independently and often though I'd be looking for signs of eating disorders. She wouldn't be the first kid to try to lose weight that way.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I was raised Christian and I fasted at that age. Once a month we fasted so I wouldnt say christian kids dont fast.

I think she should do whats comfortable for her. Maybe she's afraid if she says she's Muslim she'll get picked on...at that age its a concern for her Im sure.

If she wants to fast and feels its important then Id let her.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The reason fasting was prescribed by God in islam is so that we can attain taqwa ( love of God, hope in God , fear of God).. one scholar best described it as when a person is going down a thorny path, they do their best not to get pricked. You approach sin the same way, do your best not to sin so that you may worship God as he has asked. Having Taqwa is said to lead to piety. And that is the reason for fasting. So that a person may attain taqwa so they can become pious. Fasting is a act of worship. It should be done with all sincerity and love for allah.

children can fast.. some do it all day long, some do it in stages. It all depends on the child. I think if she wants to have the shared experience with her father, it's absolutely fine. Just make sure she gets nutritious predawn meal and sunset meal and that she has a fair amount of fluid.

you should be proud of her.. many adults complain and skip fasting.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 2:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• yes it is for Ramadan, but she invited Jesus into her heart at age five. most of the time she doesn't eat/drink anything from dusk till dawn. I have fasted before to clear my mind so I could hear GOD, or I felt remorse over a sin, and as worship to Jesus. isn't it misleading for a Christian to fast on Ramadan?
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009