How in the world do you control your portions??

Need some support with portion control badly!! I can't seem to stop snacking on junk food late at night in bed.... I can't seem to fix myself one taco instead of 3 and then be completely stuffed and miserable for the following 3 to 4 hours..... It seems to be affecting me in a negative way. I get so full that all I want to do is lay down and relax and I just feel miserable, and I do this to myself everyday! I have absolutely no control when it comes to serving myself food... it's like I'm always going to serve myself a huge portion, knowing if I were to just eat half of what I have on my plate I wouldn't get that full miserable feeling..... So what do you moms do to control your portions and still be satisfied? Because I seem to be lacking big time in the self control department!

Also, maybe there's a decent natural type appetite suppresor out there?

Juliebee81

Asked by Juliebee81 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• One thing to keep in mind is that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to send the signal that you are full so if you shovel for 20 minutes, your body is full long before you 'feel' it. Try to be the last person finished with a meal. always go back for seconds (meaning that you don't put as much on a plate the 1st time around), always leave food on your plate when done.
    AND LAST, eat off of a saucer not a full size plate. You can't pack it as full as a plate.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Here are some normal portion sizes
    1 oz. meat: size of a matchbox
    3 oz. meat: size of a deck of cards or bar of soap—the recommended portion for a meal
    8 oz. meat: size of a thin paperback book
    3 oz. fish: size of a checkbook
    1 oz. cheese: size of 4 dice
    Medium potato: size of a computer mouse
    2 Tbs. peanut butter: size of a ping pong ball
    1/2 cup pasta: size of a tennis ball
    Average bagel: size of a hockey puck
    medium apple or orange: the size of a tennis ball
    1 cup chopped raw vegetables or fruit: baseball size
    1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, apricots, mango): a small handful
    lunch-box size container of unsweetened applesauce
    cup of lettuce: four leaves
    chicken stir-fry with 1 cup of mixed broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms (= 2 vegetable servings)
    1/2 cup cooked or canned legumes (beans and peas)
    5-6 baby carrots
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Something else to think about is removing the thought that a day consists of 3 meals and start thinking about a day of 6 meals
    breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner-snack
    Snack=something healty This will also boost your metabolism and curb the slumps thru the day.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Hey Julie! I think I already told you about this, but what has helped me feel full faster is getting more fiber by putting 2 tablespoons of flax seed in my food. You can't really taste it but it gives you 4 extra grams of fiber! Josh and I have both went from eating damn near a whole box of spaghetti alone, to not even being able to finish a half a box. We just add a little flax seed and we still have enough for another whole meal the next day. I have also went from being the first person done at dinner to actually trying to talk more so I won't shove too much dang food in my mouth and eat slower. You know I am a big talker :) LOL!
    Kristenn

Answer by Kristenn at 2:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• ha I have that same problem... with me it's more that I just love the taste of food, not that I want to eat it, I just want to taste it LOL.... Like with the taco's the first one is sooooo good and I know I shouldn't have another and another but the first one was soooooooo goood hahhaha. And then I totally beat myself up about it later when I'm full and feel fat and miserable. WILL POWER ya gotta have some of that... ya gotta be able to tell yourself no and instead of having 3 or 4 delicious mouth watering tacos ya have to eat one and then have some bland salad or eat the bland salad first and then the taco and then wait awhile and maybe have another taco but then wait and have a banana or somthing altho the banana isn't as good as the taco. Then I'm mad at the taco for being so delicious and the banana for being so banana ish and healthy and not as good as the taco cus I wish the taco was like the bland salad only good
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Quit eating foods you like. That helps reduce portion control. If you can change out what you eat that helps. I over eat all the time but now it's steamed carrots and not donuts. I just exchange good food for the bad if i have to binge. Once you start seeing a result then it's easier to work harder at it. I stuff my self all the time with grapes when I used to stuff my face with cookies. I quit eating out too. That helps a whole lot. Those buffets are killers!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I have the same problem and I just started Weight Watchers and so far its been great it has helped in eating better even counting the calories should be the same have the same effects I think, anyway it helped me see what I could eat more of if I chose these foods and you can pretty much make anything with a healthy twist even tacos lol, I just invested in a bunch of healthy eating cookbooks and am now trying all kinds of foods it been kinda fun since I love to eat which is my biggest problem lol. Good Luck on your journey
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I know this is an old question :) It came up when I searched for something!! The thing that seems to work for me is a small plate. Look full. Looks like a lot of food but it isn't!

I also don't snack from bags or boxes......I must put it in a bowl :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 10:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2010