Please HELP!!

I am 28 and have 3 kids. My oldest child is disabled and I am having a very hard time with everything. I had to quit my job because our income was too high and his medical ins was trying to kick us off. I couldn't buy him private insurance through my employer because of his pre existing cond. We lost our home and one of our cars because we only had one income and couldn't afford the way we used to live. I have always been okay, a very good Mother and person but I am feeling very helpless, overwhelmed and depressed. I have no motivation and am exhausted all the time. I have an appt at a Community Health Center but I really don't want to be prescribed medication. Is there anything else beside meds??? I am stressed about going and don't want to be labeled as depressed. I have heard of so many Mom's getting addicted to meds and am worried. So how many Mom's are on meds and feel better. I don't want to be a medicated Mom to be hapy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I am a medicated Mom - but I have a chemical imbalance so I was on Meds before my son was born but what you have to stop doing is stop looking it as a Label only. You have to weigh your options. YOu have a ton of things going on and it sounds very justified that you are or could be depressed. I weighed my options - do I want to just NOT be on medication to say I am not medicating myself or do I want to take medication to maintain my sanity and happiness for my son? I tried over and over to "fix" myself without meds, But my situation isn't fixable through therapy and congantive thinking. Maybe support groups or therapy might be something you want to try but if you are already having troubles with energy and sadness, I'd want to get started pretty soon. Good luck !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'm a medicated Mom as well, sometimes medication is the only thing that works. I have a pretty much stress free life, 2 great kids and a job that I love, but I am depressed. Who knows why? The point of meds being taken for depression is to regulate a CHEMICAL imbalance in your brain, it isn't just about getting up and getting over it. When people are depressed there is actual physical reasons behind it. It sounds like you have had a rough time, I can't imagine going through what you have. I think that if you can take the stigma out of being a "medicated mom", you will do much better. If a doc decides to put you on meds it is for your own good, and I've not ever heard of anyone becoming addicted to anti-depressants. You may want to try therapy as well, talking to someone outside of your situation may be a way to relieve some of your stress. Good luck Mom!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Sending Hugs! Life is difficult. You are not going to be "labled" depressed. There is no shame in medical help to cope with some major stresses in your life. I lost my dad VERY unexpectedly on July 5th. Found floating face down in his pool. Needless to say....I was not doing very well. Shook me to the marrow of my bones. I am his oldest, so so hard to lose him and then see my younger sibs so upset. I tried to fight it, told myself I am strong...I can do this. NOPE! So I went to the docs. He put me on Zoloft and I feel much much better about life. Don't get me wrong, I still hurt...but it helps my lows not be so low I can't cope. Even helped with my PMS symptoms. Please remember nothing lasts forever...not even good times. This too shall pass. Keep your chin up Mama!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009