Do you?

What religion are you? Do you do halloween? How does it fit into your religion? What is halloween to you and why do you or dont you participate in it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised Lutheran. I believe in God. I like Halloween because it is fun! It's tradition. Don't see any harm in it.
    kassie726

Answer by kassie726 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I was raised in teh church of christ, i no longer practice any religion and we are all about halloween, I love it its actually my fvorite holiday of the year!! I dont see the harm in it either, and we look forwrd to it every year
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We are Christian, and we celebrate the harvest time and thank God for all He has blessed us with. We have a Harvest party at our church. Fall is my favorite time of year. It is gloriously beautiful. The colors of pumpkins, apples, fallen leaves make me so happy. It is also a time to remember the brevity of life, that seasons change and we don't have forever to live here so we need to make it all count.

We do not participate in a traditional Halloween with ghosts, witches, and skeletons. I personally think that glorifies evil. I do not push that belief on anyone else though, or judge other people.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We don't do Halloween but we go trick or treating, wear costumes., pass out candy, have fun. I guess that would be "doing Halloween". It is just fun---it has nothing to do with church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am a Pagan Witch, I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!! It coincides with the holiday Samhain for us.
    Lots of different traditions for that day.

halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays, we would decorate the house, when I got older I worked at a couple haunted houses, just love the day. I still dress up every year.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Baptist, I love Halloween, at church on Halloween night we have Trunk or Treat - kids go around to the trunks of the cars to get candy, there's games and treats in Fellowship hall, the kids can't wear scary costumes though, but Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We are eclectic Wiccan.
    Halloween is a time to remember our ancestors and honor them. To do away with old and, in a sense, be reborn. Thats what it means to my family.

We celebrate it as such and as the fun trick or treat, dress up day that it is as well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'm LDS...and we don't really think about it on a religious level - it's more of a fun cultural holiday that members will participate in if they happen to be living in a part of the world where their culture celebrates it.

although I do remember a primary teacher telling us about how trick-or-treating originated with a practice called "souling" where poor people would pray for your dead loved ones in exchange for food.

I think that's sweet, and I love seeing little kids dressed up; it's so cute.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am Christian and my family does not dress up and go house to house. I do not take part in any halloween activities. However we do play dress up through out the year.

Halloween’s roots, although not found in the Bible, can be traced back to a pagan origin. The pre-Christian Egyptians, Greeks and Romans all celebrated a festival for the dead. These ancients believed that on these occasions the spirits of the dead returned; therefore food was left for them and lamps were kept burning so they would not lose their way.

One can be sure that Christ Jesus, who always stuck close to what the Bible said, would heed the divine commands: “You must not walk in the statutes of the nations.” “Do not learn the way of the nations at all.” (Lev. 20:23; Jer. 10:2) Jesus was never influenced by human reasoning into compromising on Scriptural commands!
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 2:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am Pagan
    Yes, I do halloween
    It's the secular half to our Samhain
    We celebrate it in much the same way I think the average household does. Costumes and candy... I do a private ritual for Samhain once the children are asleep... Because we have a multi-religious home we do the religious aspects of any holiday in private and away from the children.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009