My son is slower then his cousin at diffrent things- they r 2 months apart, should I be worried/ what can I do?

He seems on target for walking and crawling, bu his younger cousin by 2 months says diffrent words then my baby who is 13 months. Mine says yeah and daddy. His cousin says yum and broom broom to make a car noise. I hate to compare, but am I just imagining things- every child is diffrent right? You see my hubby has ADHD so I guess I am always looking for signs- like My nephew does has better eye contact right now, but my brother was in all the gifted classes so maybe his child is just smart for his age. Now my baby has favorie tv preschool shows like Dora and likes the color green- he seems to know colors. So should I just relax- am I just a worry wart for nothing? Thanks for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Health

• Every child is different, that doesn't make your nephew any better, do you get to spend a lot of time with your baby, and teach and do things with him/her? My daughter is almost 1 and does a lot of things but I'm not working right now and have all this time to work with her. Her cousin is 2 weeks ahead of her, and they are close with things they do but my daughter talks more than he does, but he started to walk before her.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• yes u r a worry wart lol I was worried about my son, I also compared him to babies close to his age, many younger, who seemed to talk more or reach milestones sooner. my son is 17 months old and is just now starting to mimic behavior and syntax, so all that worrying for nothing! he just...did it at his own pace and when he was ready. Same goes for your little one! Keep encouraging him to learn! Read to him and point out and label the shapes, colors, animals, expressions, etc. Sing him songs and encourage him to clap along. Get some washable crayons and color with him. point to the different vegetables at the grocery store...he'll eventually understand and communicate back! he's absorbing it all in!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My daughter and little cousin are 5 days apart they are going to be 5 next month and they developed completely differently. My daughter started talking at 10 months and you could carry on an conversation with her very clearly at a year and a half but didn't start crawling until she was 1 and walking at 15 months. My little cousin didn't talk clearly until he was 3 1/2 but was walking at one year, shoot he was running at a year. They are still different she talks like a 16 year old and you can still have problems understanding my cousin, but my cousin can ride a bike like he's 16 and my daughter sucks at riding a bike. So just remember every child is different and develop at their own rate.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If you are really worried about it, talk to your childs doctor. They will be able to refer you to services if there really is an issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009