How has Autism affected you personally?

I have a b rother thats one year younger than me who has autism, named Trevor. He has recently been diagnosed with Epilepsy as well which has torn us apart inside and made us very worried for him. What I am wondering, is if the diagnosis has changed anyone as a person, and made their life better, worse, or what have you.

Personally, having a brother with autism and epilepsy is..tragic (is that the word? Or devastating maybe?) My brother made me who I am today, a special education major in college, and an advocate for children with autism. I taught my brother his first word, and thats what changed my life. :)

KorisMum

Asked by KorisMum at 2:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• For me personally it has made me who I am today, a stronger woman who is willing to speak up and stand up for my son. I was 23 when my then 2 y/o first showed signs I had no idea what was happening i had never been exposed to autism outside of moives. Over the last 9 years I found an inner srength I never knew I had, I found that I have patience and determination beyond anything I could have imagined. When I start to feel like I am failing at it I have the support of the people who have watched my son and I on our journey who remind me that I am an awesome mom who has done so much to get my son where he is today.

I think overall it has taught me that I am strong, determined, and that I am a good mother. You sometimes lose sight of the fact that your a good parent when its a bad day for your child.

I am constantly in awe of the amazing things my son can do, he is truly a gift that has helped me grow as a woman.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Aren't you afraid that one of your children could have Autism since it is genetic?
    Sorry but I was wondering!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

Sorry but I was wondering!
    --
    I agree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Nobody is sure if it is really genetic or not. There is no cure, and no scientist really knows what causes it, although there are many theories. And yes, we are checking our children however I don't think either one have it. Thanks for the post.
    KorisMum

Answer by KorisMum at 2:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009