Should I put my daughter on a diet?

My daughter will be 8 this coming Saturday. With her height, she is about 15-20 pounds over weight. It is hard for me to find clothes that fit her right cause to be comfortable in the waist, they are to long and bulky. Another reason we have problems finding her pants is she has a butt like J Lo. Both close friends and family have commented on her butt not meaning no harm. (not saying anything to my daughter of course.) So her butt already posses a problem just to get pants over it. So my question is, should I put her on a diet to get her to drop a few pounds or she I wait and see if with age she will slim down? I mean no harm to my daughter whatsoever so please no rude or mean comments..

summertime1982

Asked by summertime1982 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• No way. A child that young is still growing and changing.
    If you have concerns, talk to her pediatrician and get recommendations on ways to help her eating habits but dont make a big issue of "losing weight". If all she's hearing is how she's fat and needs to lose weight you will set her up for a lifetime of self esteem battles and thats worse then being a bit overweight.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• ask your ped
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't put a child on a diet, but perhaps she needs a lifestyle change that includes a change of diet (as in what she eats) and more exercise. You are never too young to adopt a healthy lifestyle, and good habits will stick with her for life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• That's pretty significantly overweight for a child this age. It's doubtful she'll slim down as she gets older unless she learns healthier eating and excercise habits now. Rather than putting her on a diet to drop weight quickly, I would work on helping her with improving her overall eating habits so she doesn't end up on a diet yo-yo as she gets older.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I don't know what kind of food she is eating but how about feeding her a healthier diet and getting her to do some more excersises. Like playing Tag with her. Also Talk to you Ped about it and see what he/she has to say about it.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Just try and get her to be more active and give her more healthy choices for food .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i agree with the others, too young to be put onto a diet per say unless its by a docs recommendation. i'd get her involved in a sport or two (its almost fall soccer season, dance, karate, swimming can be year round etc...) and have the whole family do a healthier diet, less junk more healthy. and you and her dad (if hes in picture) would have to adopt healthier eating habits as well, b/c if its in the house and she can get to it she will, and kids will do what they see over what they are told.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i would just monitor what she eats more...i know it is more expensive to eat healthy..but figure out what she likes, and make it fun for her to eat..i dont know how much shes excersizing, but maybe a lil more would be good too..is she involved in anything?? like soccer, dance, swimming, etc?? swimming is a great way for kids to lose weight..and adults too..lol..plus its fun!!! but dont make a big deal out of it to her..like dont tell her she needs to, just say its something fun to do..dont eat junk around her, changing the familys diet as well, not just hers...theres no harm in eating healthy!! and then do lil things, like if you ever take her shopping with you, park at the oher side of the parking lot so you have to walk for a couple minutes longer..walk to school, if possible..gor for a walk around the block every night (take the dog too..if ya have one) bikeride, hop scotch, jump rope...make it fun!!!! good luck!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Don't put her on a diet and don't make an issue out of her weight. Get the whole family eating healthier. More fruits and vegetables, replace simple grains with whole grains, cut back on meat and dairy and add legumes. contact me offlist for meal ideas and recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2009