Do atheists celebrate any holidays?

Do atheists celebrate any holidays? I would not think they do for as most holidays come from pagan backgrounds. So I was just wondering because I am Christian and I don’t celebrate holidays because of the pagan backgrounds. I just met the nicest woman who said she was not doing Halloween and mentioned she was atheist. So I was not sure. Anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i am an atheist and i do celebrate holidays for the sake of my family and my son. my side of the family is christian and hubbys side of the family is buddhist. i celebrate every holiday both families celebrate. it doesnt bother me that its religious. i just choose not to believe in it for the most part.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I have been called an atheist and I'll celebrate just about any holiday!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 2:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Im not an atheist, but it's really how the holiday is viewed. Halloween is for trick-or-treating and Christmas is when Santa comes. A person can ignore all the religious things assosiated with holidays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Most do celebrate the secular aspects of the holidays, but not the religious. As a pagan I celebrate some holidays that are Christan because my DH is, but the religious aspects are something seperate for us... As for halloween, it's all secular, so I don't see why that would matter at all... There is no religious aspect to it. There are religious holidays that are very similar such as Samhain or The Day of the Dead, but Halloween itself is 100% religion free - a perfect fit for a religion free person!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I celebrate all the major holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc). They are not "religious" to me... they are for fun & family.

We dress up & go trick or treating on Halloween... cook a big dinner on Thanksgiving... put up a tree, buy tons of gifts, and go looking at the lights at Christmas... and hide eggs for the kids on Easter.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'm atheist and I celebrate the holidays - christmas, easter etc. We just do them secularly. I'd prefer to phase out Easter as it's really not one I have any emotional attachments to, but the kids like it so we continue. But it's literally just "find the plastic eggs, open the basket" and that's it.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• What Laura1229 said. Despite our beliefs (or the lack three of) m"ost US atheists were raised in christian homes with all the traditional christian trappings. It's what we know, and we have cherished memories of it that don't include the religious aspect at all. Every year about this time, the "why do you celebrate our holidays posts start cropping up, and the whining about keeping christ in Christmas begins anew. If you are protestant, your view has removed the Mass from Christmas, so unless you (general you) plan to go back to the original church, you are just as "guilty" as we are. Plus stamping "property of christian" on traditions doesn't change the places they came from originally. Candles, poinsettias, the tree, the holly, the mistletoe...all pagan. Why is it okay for so many christians to take and discard what they want of any given holiday, but they get so bent if anyone else does likewise?
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Besides, the pagans aren't running around burning atheists at the stake for borrowing their traditions (or christians for stealing.) Unlike most christians, they know how to share as long as credit is given where credit s due.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OP, I know you weren't asking this as either of those examples I gave...just wanted be sure that was clear...it was all intended in a "general you" way, not a direct specific "you."
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Roachiesmom - GAH! I forgot that those questions are due to begin popping up again. They're almost as bad as the "prove god doesn't exist" ones.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009