HOW CAN I GET MY KIDS TO TAKE A NAP!?!?!?

i have a 10 month old daughter and 3 year old son... they both are very hard to get down for a nap. im a single sahm and just need an hour brake! my daughter will take little 10 or 15 minute naps 3 times or so a day, and my son, well, i am lucky if he naps once a week. and come 5pm, they are both fussy and cranky cause they are tired. HOW DO I GET THEM TO NAP!!!

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 2:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son just started combined naps and they are working amazingly! sure, he screams and cries for a while, but i let him cry it out for a couple of minutes, check on him every like 5-10 minutes, make sure hes alright. for the most part he will just talk in his crib until he falls asleep. he likes having his bedtime routine as his naptime routine so theres something to try! good luck!
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Routines.

Kids thrive on routine. So you have a bedtime routine. A bath, getting on clothes, reading of books, singing of songs, and laying down with a lovey and going to sleep. Do the same thing at naptime that you do at bedtime except maybe the bath.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree, it's all about the routines. And when you know they are tired and they are fussing like crazy you just have to push through. But try to start the routine before you know they are to that overtired point. One thing I still have to do with my 6 month old is wrap her up and hold her tight to help relax her. With your 3 year old you could start by telling him it's quiet time for an hour, play relaxing music and create an area where he has to stay for that hour (similar to how they do it in daycare). Even if he doens't sleep, he will rest (hopefully!). Good luck!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• WEll, my son has had a routine set and followed everyday ( adjusted of course the older he gets ) since he was 4 months old - he's 22 months and still fights to nap and go to bed.. every night! no fail. I HAVE to let him cry it out til he passes out himself. He has always been a fighter when it comes to sleep! I say use the nighttime to get some real sleep but let them both cry it out at bedtime! and the 10 month old also for naptime!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009