Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support?!

my sister had a baby and isnt sure who the father is between two guys. one say the baby doesnt look like him and he doesnt have the money to take a DNA test. and the other says that when he come back from over seas he'll get the DNA test done which will be awhile. but she needs help before then. what could she do we live in NC!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • If she is on any type of welfare she can file through them child support on both guys, the one over seas may be hard to test but the one with no money can at least test and either be the father or through process of elimination the one over seas.

    Answer by chelo_ken at 2:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • I'm from NC, go to social services, they will petition (the court) for the guys to have a DNA test done, they don't have to pay out of pocket, and whoever the father is will automatically be made to pay child support, they take it directly from their paychecks, both guys will have to go to court to set a payment plan and price and all that before the paternity test are taken, either way she needs to go to DSS.

    Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • I don't think you can get child support based on process of elimination. I think you need actual proof, unless the father acknowledges that his is the father. Has she checked into the cost of DNA tests?If she's not on welfare or assistance, it may be worth it for her to pay for the tests for the guy that's here. Unfortunately, she's put herself in a difficult situation, and her child.

    She should check into whatever assistance is available. Ask her pediatrician, check with local churches and organizations. Children deserve to be taken care of regardless of the situation.

    Answer by ohwrite at 2:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Seriously go to DSS it won't cost her anything, that's where you get assistance for child support, food stamps, medicaid etc.. I know b/c my husband had to have a paternity test done before and it was done through them.

    Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
not enough sleep?

Next question overall (Health)
Rosacea. Anyone have this?