If you are Pagan?

If you are Pagan does it bother you or do you find it odd that Christians take your festivals and practises and call it a christian holliday even though the roots originate from your religion. Do you find it odd that some Christans ignore the fact that Christmas, New years, halloween, and others stem from your belifes but they call it their own? Just wondering. I just find it odd that the oragins come from your belifes and so many people dont even realize it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've never heard halloween be called a christian holiday, I know christians and other people celebrate Halloween but never called it christian.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well that’s what I mean it’s celebrated by other religions other than yours. Sorry I was not so specific. Im new to this website asking question thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• the only time it bothers me, is when they refuse to awknowledge it. Or they think that the "Christian Equivalant" is the correct. I don't care what anyone believes or celebrates, but I get really annoyed when my celebrations are then condemned or considered "evil" because its not what they believe.
    _____
    to the previous anon, Halloween perhaps not, but All saints Day, all hallows eve?
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OP-Halloween

The Celtic order of Druids worshiped Samhain, lord of the dead, as well as a sun-god to whom the horse was sacred. On November 1, which was also their New Year, they held a joint festival in honor of these gods. It was believed that the souls of those who had died the previous year because of their sins were confined to the bodies of lower animals, and at the time of this festival Samhain assembled them together, and they were released to go to the Druid heaven. On the eve of the feast of Samhain the pagan Celts used to keep bonfires burning, believing that this would protect them from evil spirits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OP- christmas

“The birth of Christ was assigned the date of the winter solstice (December 25 in the Julian calendar, January 6 in the Egyptian), because on this day, as the sun began its return to northern skies, the pagan devotees of Mithra celebrated the dies natalis Solis Invicti (birthday of the invincible sun).”
    Providing historical background, The Chicago Tribune just last December noted in a front-page story: “Ironically, the holiday that Christians now complain is being co-opted by commercialism traces its roots to a pagan festival that was taken over by Christianity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• “The first reported observance of Christmas as the birth of Jesus Christ was more than 300 years after the event. In the 4th Century, Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire, and, scholars believe, Christians set Jesus’ birthdate at Dec. 25 to coincide with existent celebrating by non-Christians.
    “‘Rather than battle against the pagan holidays, they decided to join them and try to replace them,’ said University of Utah professor Russell Belk . . . ‘The pagan holidays replaced by Christianity were the Roman celebrations of Saturnalia—which were carnivalesque celebrations with gift-giving—and later the Yule celebrations in England and Germany that celebrated the winter solstice,’ Belk said.
    Anonymous

• “Christmas has gained and slipped in popularity over the centuries. It was banned for a time in England and America by Puritans who objected to the frivolity associated with it. But toward the mid-1800s, Belk said, ‘Christmas was in trouble, waning in popularity.’ He said religious leaders welcomed an injection of commerce, via gift-giving and Santa Claus, to revive the holiday.
    Anonymous

• Not really. It bothers me that they try to claim it's their holiday though. I mean, if they want to celebrate it, go for it, what do I care. But don't stand there and tell me that I am in the wrong religion, that my Gods aren't as good as your, or that I am evil and then turn around and take my practices and celebrations as your own... That just makes no sence at all!

I guess to me it's a one way or another kind of thing, either accept that the practices and traditions that come with the holidays are pagan and lay off the "Pagans are Evil" speach or continue to be close minded and hateful without our practices in your life... I don't see how they can have both...

But as long as they aren't trying to stop me from doing as I do, they can do whatever they want...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OP- New Year
    New Year’s festivities are not new. Ancient inscriptions indicate that they were held in Babylon as early as the third millennium B.C.E. The celebration, which was observed in mid-March, was crucial. “At that time the god Marduk decided the destiny of the country for the coming year,” says The World Book Encyclopedia. The Babylonian new year celebration lasted 11 days and included sacrifices, processions, and fertility rites.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• For a time, the Romans too began their year in the month of March. But in 46 B.C.E., Emperor Julius Caesar decreed that it should begin on the first of January. That day was already dedicated to Janus, the god of beginnings, and now it would also mark the first day of the Roman year. The date changed, but the carnival atmosphere persisted. On the first of January, people “gave themselves up to riotous excess,” says McClintock and Strong’s Cyclopedia, “and various kinds of heathen superstition.”
    Anonymous